web page development software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vjaaan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

I have had a web page on a Prodigy server for about 20 years, and they are discontinuing all personal web pages in a few months. I have a domain name reserved with GoDaddy, and I plan to put that my web site (with its multiple pages) there. But I had created the site with the old Hippie editing software.

GoDaddy recommended some free web page programs that I am looking into. Joomla and WordPress seem the best suited. I don't use my web pages as a blog; they are for information and photos, with links for emailing me. Some of my content is in the form of tables which sets that text off and emphasizes it.

Has anyone here used these programs? These pages are a legacy to my WWII father, and I plan to have them continued and maintained forever. So I am inclined not to look into iWeb since those that follow behind me may not be using a mac.

Thanks for any suggestions.

vjaaan

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Joomla and Wordpress are not "web development software." They are content management systems that can be modified to suit your needs.

So, what exactly are you looking for- software to modify your chosen CMS, or are you asking which CMS to use?

3. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

The terminology has changed since I first created my web pages, so I have not been clear just what I am looking for. Basically, I created the pages with the web page editing software (Hippie, from Trout). I was using basic HTML coding, etc. So, now I need to migrate what I have into a new program that will allow me to continue to modify it as I need. Or I would have to totally create new pages from scratch with new editing software.

So, I guess I am looking for the program which lets me recreate these pages and update them easily, and upload them to my new GoDaddy domain site.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A lot of people seem to like Coda. BBEdit is also popular.

5. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

The more I read, the less sure I am I need a CMS like WordPress or Joomla. In the past, I used my web page text editor, created my pages, and uploaded all the pieces and parts to the server.

Is hosting on GoDaddy the same as hosting on an ISP's server? If so, for a simple non-blog web page (with sub pages on different topics), would I even need a program like these CMSs?

You mentioned Coda, Miles. I'm going to look into that, see if it can do what I'm used to doing. If so, maybe I can recreate my pages (man, what a lot of work that will be).

Has anyone here used GoDaddy for their web pages?

Thanks for help.

6. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

If you're just looking to work on these pages the same way you did before you don't need a CMS.

Godaddy should offer something similar to what you used before to be able to edit the html files directly on the server. The more common way would be to have the files locally on your computer to edit them, then use ftp to upload them to GoDaddy, using a program like Coda(my favorite also).

You should be able to download the pages you have now from Prodigy and re-upload them to GoDaddy .

7. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, before... I did all my page editing on my computer and ftp-ed everything up to the Prodigy server.
    My old editing program (Hippie) does not work on my new mac, so I'm looking for a new program. I don't suppose the files I created on my Windows program will work on a mac program, huh?

Thanks for your help.

8. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Oh, so you just need to find a new editor.

As long as you old program was just saving as html files you can edit them on any computer with any text editor.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I use TextWrangler with CyberDuck for FTP mostly. I also have Fraise (formerly Smultron), which is nice and very similar to TextWrangler, and Espresso which isn't free like the others, but has integrated FTP and some other nice features.

jW

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To paraphrase Cloud, Wiliam on Star Trek:

What was Smultron is Smultron again.
    Peter Borg is back. Development of Fraise has ceased. Downside: Smultron 3.8.1 is available exclusively at the Mac App Store.