Web page not loading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by extrapulp, Oct 20, 2010.

1. extrapulp macrumors newbie

I have recently switched most of the company I work for from PC to Mac. I have been having reports that yahoo.com will not load most of the time and when it does there are no graphics.

I have checked this on three different machines all with 10.6.4 using Safari, Chrome, and FireFox (one 27" iMac, one new mini, and one 15" MBP). They all act the same. Either the site times out and is not loaded at all or it loads in really large blue fonts that are all squished to the left of the browser window. The main thing these machines have in common is that they all have Parallels installed with Windows 7 installed. Two have Parallels v5 and the iMac has v6.

Initially I thought it was our ISP, BUT if you try it on any other mac that does not have parallels installed the site works fine in all three browsers. Also if you launch a browser in windows inside Parallels the site loads up correctly.

All other sites that are visited seem to be working fine on these same machines.

I have checked DNS and all seems well. All machines on the network (PC and Mac) are using the same DNS servers. All PC's work fine regardless of the browser used.

All machines are using wired connections.

Any ideas of things for me to chase to figure this out?

Thanks

2. NikMac macrumors member

That's strange... is it only Yahoo.com, or all websites in general?

Have you tried clearing the browsers' caches, cookies, temp. files etc.?

3. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Hi

Hi

Try Adding open DNS servers 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 and try

4. extrapulp thread starter macrumors newbie

NicMac,

This is the only site that is being complained about. I have not had any issues with other sites that I visit regularly. I did try clearing the cache and deleting cookies. Same result. It is very odd.

vasanth4u,

I already had those DNS entries in along with Googles DNS servers. I do not think it is DNS because using the virtual machine with the exact same DNS entries on a machine where I can't get the site to work in the Mac OS works fine in the windows OS. Also other machines (Mac without Parallels, or PC) work fine. All machines on the network get all networking settings from the server I manage and it dishes out the same DNS to all.

I have also moved devices around to different switches to see if it was a piece of network hardware that was causing the issue. The problem follows the specific machines no matter where they are connected to the network.

Thanks

5. Elastic2303 macrumors newbie

I am experiencing something incredibly similar. I use Safari v 5.0.2 or Firefox 3.6.12 on my iMac OS v 10.5.8 2GHz Intel.

The most common problems I experience are, I log in to a message board [muscle wasting disease related] I can read the posts but when I click to reply to post, then only the top half of the page loads, the little spinny thing appears in the address bar and that is it, whether I wait 5 mins, 5 hours, just the same. BUT if I do this in Firefox 'sometimes' [1 in 5 chance] after refreshing the rest of the page appears and functions normally.

BBC.co.uk is another problem site, especially when using iplayer for radio or tv programmes.

Facebook, the home page will take ages to load and sometimes does not even after refreshing. No games will load, and not all comments will post. In both browsers, if the spinny thing appears in the address bar then forget it the page will never load.

This has started to happen across the past week. None of my other visited sites including Yahoo and MSN] have this issue and the ones listed above never used to behave that way.

Regularly I clear the history and empty the cache and about every month 'reset safari' and Firefox is set to private browsing.

I wondered whether to uninstall and reinstall Safari and Firefox, see if it is just one of them indefinable glitches.

I appreciate diagnosing things online can be tricky, but would appreciate some baby-step help :D Thank you

6. issicus macrumors newbie

you should try pinging the site when it happens. or trace route.

7. Elastic2303 macrumors newbie

I have no idea what that means or does, I did find somewhere in anther thread how to do that and followedtheir instructions, but the lines of text that came up made no sense to me.

As it happens it has not done any of this for the past few days. I am now wondering whether it was heat related. My heating [night storage heaters] have been on but with the extremely mild temperatures we have had and me not turning it down as the forecasters kept saying frost, I wonder if the room was just too stuffy ... thats the only explanation I can come up with.