Web page to PDF converter

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by GMAGDNA, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GMAGDNA macrumors newbie

I have looked, looked again, looked more...I am looking for an app that functions identical to the following...

I have a PC laptop and if I'm browsing in Firefox, IE, whatever browser, and am on a page that I want to print I simply got to File>Print and choose Adobe PDF from the Printers. A PDF is generated and I save it.

Almost everything I find for the iPhone requires me to first be in the apps internal browser then I can save a page as PDF (e.g. Web to PDF). I also tried Instapaper but the saved page was blank. Some might say User Error but that's unlikely. I've since checked the Instapaper FAQ and nothing applies. The page I was on at the time was a credit report so there was no option to reopen it in an app that could then convert it as the reference would have been lost.

I thought I'd find something that would simply insert a "PDF" option, or similar, in the Print menu but no joy. Surely I'm missing the appropriate app?

I searched this forum before posting so if I've missed a previous discussion please direct me it.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

iOS Apps are not able to do this sort of thing.

You'll either need to:

a) Use an App that has its own browser and save the PDF that way (I realise that's cumbersome).

b) Use a bookmarklet to generate a PDF. This would also be limited and cumbersome

Basically, a bookmarklet is a "fake" bookmark that tells the web browser (i.e. Safari) to carry out a specific action.

In this case, it would be to tell a web service to generate a PDF of the page you're currently on.

I did I quick search and found this page:

http://wildthoughts.net/2012/02/20/how-to-save-webpages-as-pdfs-with-a-javascript-ios-bookmarklet/

Although it shows an iPad, it'd work fine on an iPhone or iPod touch.

I don't know how secure or reliable the service they are using is.

This would not work in the scenario you describe (i.e. making a PDF of a site that you had to log in to).

3. dinggus macrumors 65816

4. GMAGDNA thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave - I had tried the bookmarklet method but it didn't work in the particular situation I described. Not sure why but it didn't. Thanks for confirming all my research - now I know I didn't miss anything.

dinngus - a snapshot captures only what's on the immediate screen, not the entire page. Yes, multiple pics could be taken but this is all going down an absolutely undesirable path - I'm sure for most any need.