Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
When loading web pages on a computer, does the time at which it is completely loaded depend on the internet connection, the computer's specs or both?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It depends mostly on the internet connection, a bit on the the local network speed you have to connect to the router (if the speed is lower than the actual internet connection, which is rarely the case) and with some pages, those big pages with lots of useless elements like Flash ads and such (Failblog for example), the computer's specs.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
It depends mostly on the internet connection, a bit on the the local network speed you have to connect to the router (if the speed is lower than the actual internet connection, which is rarely the case) and with some pages, those big pages with lots of useless elements like Flash ads and such (Failblog for example), the computer's specs.

Ohhh, thank you for the clarification!

faqsmx

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
USA
Internet speed could be delayed if there is people downloading software while you surfing the internet.

But mainly the speed is defined by your provider, usually local networks are at least 10mb in speed, which if for sure your internet provider is not giving you that speed (but in his local network only, like the cable companies).

if your computer is old, then, try to get at least 2gb memory and a decent hard drive.

Clean your cache and uninstall any add-on in your browser, this will help a lot!! too.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

Just another addition to this (from the fringes of the internet):
In some corners of the world, you might have excruciatingly slow web page loading times even though your computer might be up to speed and your internet connection would be (at least in name) speedy.

The structure of many modern web pages is that the content (HTML, pictures, ads, trackers etc.) is distributed, meaning that they are not all on the same server and may in fact be spread all over.
For instance when I load the web pages of the local daily (server farm only 20 mms away), I am loading a lot of data from asia and north america.
Although the bulk of the data (in bytes) comes from close by, in terms of different connections, most are overseas...

So, depending on what the respective bandwidths and latencies of these overseas connections are the process of loading a "simple" page may be anything but simple.

HTH,

Violet1337

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Internet speed could be delayed if there is people downloading software while you surfing the internet.

But mainly the speed is defined by your provider, usually local networks are at least 10mb in speed, which if for sure your internet provider is not giving you that speed (but in his local network only, like the cable companies).

if your computer is old, then, try to get at least 2gb memory and a decent hard drive.

Clean your cache and uninstall any add-on in your browser, this will help a lot!! too.

Yeah but usually it's only my brother and I who are using the internet :p

The laptop which I currently have has additional RAM chips added to it, so it's got 2GB RAM which was once thought to be a lot but now almost seems like nothing, whereas the hard drive is 80GB HDD which is half split into C Drive and the other half in D Drive, which is very inconvenient but I've managed to adapt to that now :p

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your time :)

----------

Just another addition to this (from the fringes of the internet):
In some corners of the world, you might have excruciatingly slow web page loading times even though your computer might be up to speed and your internet connection would be (at least in name) speedy.

The structure of many modern web pages is that the content (HTML, pictures, ads, trackers etc.) is distributed, meaning that they are not all on the same server and may in fact be spread all over.
For instance when I load the web pages of the local daily (server farm only 20 mms away), I am loading a lot of data from asia and north america.
Although the bulk of the data (in bytes) comes from close by, in terms of different connections, most are overseas...

So, depending on what the respective bandwidths and latencies of these overseas connections are the process of loading a "simple" page may be anything but simple.

HTH,

Oooo, yes, good point, Sir. Thank you for the information and I'll be sure to avoid all websites which don't contain ".au" in there address ;P (sarcasm) YOU'LL NEVER STAPH MEEEEE! XD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.