web privacy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by McGiord, Apr 20, 2010.

1. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I did a google search of my name and last name, and found that this website provides details of me:
    mini google map showing where I live, who my wife is and that there are 3 different packages that anyone can buy to get full details of me.

I understand there are certain public records that anyone can go and get, but having a company to offer that service and charge you to lock you info for $10 per year is kind of repulsive.

http://www.ussearch.com/consumer/ala/landing.do?did=538

How you guys protect your personal info online?

2. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Weird. I searched my name and it showed me twice. Both entries had wrong information (like relatives who I'm not related to, wrong birthday, etc.) Most of this information is readily available through white lists.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I too would like to block my name from search engines. If I search for my name, most of it is SEC filings from work, so that's fine with me. But I frequent another forum and it picked up my full name. You can find out ALOT about me from that board and I'm not too comfortable with it.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Remove your account from that board. Within 2 years it should be gone. Just a guessitmation of course.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You too, eh? My search turned me being on the FBI's most wanted list.:eek::eek::eek: When I read the bio and saw the picture, it wasn't me at all.:rolleyes: I might have to have my name changed if it causes problems for me in the future. What must a guy named Ted Bundy feel like when he's not THAT Ted Bundy?