Web Project with many videos

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by themacguy12, Dec 11, 2008.

1. themacguy12 macrumors regular

themacguy12

Hey All!

Alright, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to say or explain exactly but here it goes:

I have a website (go figure) with I think the largest collection of Apple Videos and Keynotes on the web. Now, my dilemma is... its hard work to maintain than it has to be, it's ugly and not as user friendly as i would like it to be. So this is where you come into play? Take a look here:

Http://jordankennedy.com

Is there an easy way to upload these videos? because i know i do it the hard way lol. i upload it to my server, make a link and manually put the link on the page blah blah haha.

What should I do to my site? any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks in advance!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The best way to go is probably to use a database. With it you can attach titles, tags, and the such, which would help in searching out videos. You could then use PHP (or your favorite server side technology) to read the DB and create pages based on it, allowing people to look at the newest entries, search for old ones, and browse through use of tags and the like.

Database development can be tricky. You may want to find established programs that others have written. Do some Google searching to see what you can turn up. Others here may be able to provide some specific examples of what you can use. Do you have development skills (coding in PHP and the like)? Knowing your skills will help fine tune the feedback you get here.

Really, it's very similar to a blog, you just have video content rather than textual content. The rest is the same from the development side.

3. themacguy12 thread starter macrumors regular

themacguy12

Im sad to say i do not have the knowledge in that area.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the way you're doing it is fine. People usually don't know the name of a keynote, or Mac advert, so they're just going to guesstimate by year anyway.

5. memco macrumors 6502

God, I love how Jonathan Ive can make the most non-sensical gibberish sound like the most innovative and inspiring thing you've ever heard.

I don't think your site is ugly or hard to navigate. If you're tired of manual labor though, you should look at something like angelwatt described that's database driven, it makes uploads much easier.

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just throwin' this out there, another option is to set aside a directory on your web server and allow multiple or single upload files to it. PHP and other languages have functions to read directories and binary files without much effort and also process uploads including error processing, etc. If you're willing to learn a little PHP and it's supported on your web server:

This page summarizes exactly what I just said with all the code you need

Use your FTP client to set the permissions on the upload directory (chmod).

Once the files are there, the videos are easy to stream now, or convert to FLV's right after the upload, or whatever you wish.

-jim