web safe colors question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jdl8422, Nov 10, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

i was under the impression that u can use any color you want in web design, but the web safe colors are what the average computer resolution can handle. Now have these colors ever expanded lately with the average lcd getting better?

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

websafe? screw that. That was really only needed when computers had 8 and 16 bit colour

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea web safe was for back in the day. You only need to worry about this if you need to support really low-end machines.

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

yea, to be quite honest you are good, if you want proof of this, go into photoshop and just do a gradient, if it shows up you are fine, as most displays are more or less the same color (yea, I know, but I said more of less, only designers are going to know the difference), basically if you can create the image on your computer, you can view it on a computer

JC7

5. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Doesn't mean you don't have to worry about what colors you choose anymore.

I've had problems in the past where I've used light peach/beige backgrounds that don't show up on a PC at all.

6. nimbuscloud macrumors regular

It's the PC's problem, not yours. :p

:apple:

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The PC isn't the one that's going to get yelled at by the client when the colors look wrong on it...

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

exactly. Even though 8 bit and 16 bit monitors are virtually nonexistant among web audiences today, there are still colors that don't work across the board. So choose colors that you like, but still do extensive testing and it doesn't work, pick another color... the problem with the one i chose - too close to white.