Web server that is not a stack..

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smilinmonki666, Sep 3, 2010.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I have the following set up:

Apache2 - Using the standard installation with OS x

PHP5 - Using the standard installation with OS x

MySQL - downloaded the .pkg file from MySQL website & installed all three items, the installer, the startup installer & the .pref file.

My problem, got everything installed & working APART from MySQL. Now I know it should work as it works on SL Server, but when I install PHPMyAdmin I don't have the user name or password to access the database. I've used the MySQL Admin Workbench and it tells me that it can connect to the database but with user: root & password: "". Whilst in PHPMyAdmin it does not allow me to log in. I can't find where MySQL is installed although I have read through pages on the internet to see what the default login details are but cannot find anything?

Can anyone help? I know I can install MAMP or another Stack but I don't want to install a stack, I would rather set each one up myself.

Please, someone help?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Off the top of my head I may remember something about phpMyAdmin having a setting dealing with an empty password.

Edit:
    Found their documentation page which has this configuration piece.

3. webmunki macrumors newbie

Hope this matches your system:

"The Mac OS X PKG of MySQL installs itself into /usr/local/mysql-VERSION and also installs a symbolic link, /usr/local/mysql, that points to the new location. If a directory named /usr/local/mysql exists, it is renamed to /usr/local/mysql.bak first. Additionally, the installer creates the grant tables in the mysql database by executing mysql_install_db."

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mac-os-x-installation.html

4. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys,

I did look at that last night & thought it just was not working, but done it this morning & realised that I was just tired & not doing it correctly. Just trying to look over the documentation to find a way to add a password to mysql as it allows blank passwords...

Found out the password, thought i had to search through docs via terminal but then figured it was just done via privileges within PHPMyAdmin...