Web Server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gotenks05, Apr 2, 2010.

1. gotenks05 macrumors member

I setup my own web server, in order to launch an author's website. My server is running an iMac5,1 20-inch with the latest version of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (64-bit) with Apache2, MySQL 5.1, and PHP 5. My public IP address is dynamic, so I got a dynamic dns account, and I am hooked up to DSL, through a Netgear router, which I successfully forwarded port 80 through. My problem is that the site works perfectly on LAN, but when I had somebody else outside my network try connecting to it, they could not get anything, what else do I need to do?

If you want to try the link, click here.

2. sparky7 macrumors member

Your posting your internal IP to dyndns not your external ip:

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: brycec.dyndns.org
    Address: 192.168.2.2

3. gotenks05 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I found out how to get inadyn to work, so it should be the right IP. Is there a way I can update via my router or must I remove the dynamic DNS setting from the router? Also, I'd like somebody to test again please, to make sure it works.

Update: I checked the URL and it takes me to a configure window instead of the page. It appears that there is something more I need though.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not working for me. Just goes to a blank page.

5. gotenks05 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for testing it. It is definite there is something else I need. I'll go ahead and check some linux sources too.

Update 2: I've made a few changes and was wondering if somebody could test it again. I found out one reason why my server did not work and a port scanner online said it was being forwarded, whereas it said it was not before and my dynamic dns account has my public IP.

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020