Web serving off DSL with SL Server. Easy?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by netdog, Nov 23, 2010.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Low bandwidth site. Easy to setup web services?

Also, what about VPN?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why would you want to set up a server on a DSL connection? That's just an awful idea. Look into getting a web host- it's cheaper, your uptime will be five 9's, and you won't need to worry nearly as much about security.

3. milbournosphere, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

If you're going to host off of a DSL connection with a dynamic IP and are looking for a free solution, I highly recommend using DynDNS. Check it out, it will be a big help. You could host a basic webpage from any unix/linux box running Apache, really, but SL server should do perfectly fine as well. I would imagine you could probably set up an mail server using this as well, but I've never tried that.

DynDNS: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If it's something that you're willing to host off a dsl connection - a free web host would be more than enough most likely. Send me a PM and I'll set you up with a free account on one of my servers.

If you want to do it because you want to play around with a webserver, then that's a different story.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Regular OS X can serve web site. Don't need SL Server just to serve web sites.

Problem with DSL is that it's too slow for most people who are used to fast web server speeds.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I bet this is just for a pet project. It's always fun to experiment.:)

7. xboxphanatic macrumors member

I host a few websites from home with a cable connection. I use zoneedit for my dns and the client dnsupdate for OSX. It is fairly easy to setup.