Web site critique, please.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Elixer, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Elixer macrumors regular

Some of you might remember me asking for a critique a few months ago. I really appreciated all the help back then. I have since made a lot of changes to my site and I know its not perfect yet but it has been improving a lot. Please feel free to critique my site. Positives or negatives, either are welcome and encouraged. It is located at Pet Growth

Edit: Test Homepage

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Please get rid of the ads if you can. If you must have ads, please make the background another colour since you dont want it to look like the content in your site.

The buttons are too small and it's in the middle of nowhere, I literally have to find the buttons. The ads above the picture didn't help, I thought they were buttons at first.

The banner looks like it's a set of stairs and it steps off a cliff to the right of the green. It's weird for the eye.

When I click on "Read more..." below the pictures, it doesnt' say where I am or how do I get back.

"News" below the buttons, it looks like it doesn't belong there, maybe have a colour background if you want it to stand out.

Hope that helps. :)

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Very, very busy front page. I'd try to get rid of the ads by Google too.

Shorten it up a bit!

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The menu buttons do seem to be in the middle of nowhere, either move them to the left or centralize them.

Also, the page is too long, shorten it somewhat, limit the entries to 5 or something.

I remember the earlier request now, it has improved a lot since then :)

5. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I do think it looks very busy and cluttered.

I find this a lot with web software, I have been given the task to update a PHP Nuke site, and the biggest problem I find is that it always looks cluttered.

I am currently in the process of making a custom site which will look much better, but is taking so much time.

6. Elixer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the responses, I will try to work on changing things around to make it less crowed and more organized.

Edit: Say that I removed the top navigation bar and incorporated links on the left side at the top would that work?

7. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

the homepage is too busy and the menu is not prominant enough

8. Elixer thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I have done some work on what I want the homepage look like. It isn't the actual homepage yet, I'm just giving you a glimpse to give you an idea what it will look like. Test Homepage

9. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I am jumping in late but it seems significantly more organized - the Nav still seems smallish

10. Elixer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, the nav bar is going to be a pretty big project I think so I'm working on this one first. :)

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

It's alot better now, but you might want to have an "Articles" button.

12. Elixer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I already have the ready to go as well as an "About Us" one too :)

13. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I can't see the bottom of your iframe in FF for windoze. it's cutt off.

14. Elixer thread starter macrumors regular

Can you post a screen shot of what your talking about. I tried it on my pc with FF and it looks fine.