Web site requires Internet Explorer. Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ~Phi, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ~Phi macrumors regular

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a firefox extension or alternative that will allow me to use a web site that requires Internet Explorer? I'm trying to help a family member (and new mac user) fill out a form on a government web site. Thanks in advance.

2. JeffMonty macrumors member

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Opera can identify as another browser.
    [​IMG]
    Opera for Mac OS X has the same preferences, there was just no image to be found.

There is also ie4osx, which is running a Windows Internet Explorer version via Wine(Bottler) in Mac OS X.
    http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

4. ~Phi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much! We'll check it out. Hopefully it gets the job done.

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

With Safari go to the top menu "DEVELOP", then "USER AGENT" and then select what browser you need to emulate.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Switching the user agent will only help if the site is blindly blocking other browsers. If the site requires ActiveX to use, then you'll have to use Internet Explorer as it's proprietary.

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

One of my customers is a non-profit organisation running on Macs that has this same problem caused by lazy Government web designers who think everyone use Windoze. :( I'll have to try the ideas above when they re-open after the holidays to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Everyone in the government does use Windows. Can't blame the web designers. It's not like they have a say in the matter.

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

Forms work on most other websites, so it's obviously the Govenment's lazy designers' fault. They just get told to "put this form on the website", and then they choose the easiest and laziest way to do it which is incompatible with Macs.

Even when you phone them to tell them it doesn't work, they don't give a damn and simply tell you that it works for Windoze (same goes for Vodafone and their useless Internet "Service" Provider), and you'll usually be told there's no physical form you can post in either. :rolleyes:

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

Now that they are back at work, I had a look at that link, but the plug-in is only for the Windows version of Firefox. :(

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It may still work in Mac OSX for other sites, but the only site I cared about, my work email, did not.

13. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

That probably explains my experience. I've run into a very few places that required IE. I've tried changing the browser identity with no luck. I either go to the library and use the computer there or use XP running on Parallels. I hate to go there as I'm trying to keep that off the internet.

14. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

But....but Obama has an ipod!

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn't call him a government "employee." The federal government runs mostly on IE AFAIK. It's been like that forever, I guess, since it's the most used (mainly Windows and thus IE).

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

IE6, sadly.

17. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Unfortunately the plug-in requires IE to be installed on the local machine for it to work. So it won't work on OS X at all

18. Buzz Bumble Guest

Yep, that's what I thought from the brief description on the website. All it really does is basically run Internet Explorer inside a Firefox window, so it's of no use for this particular problem. Even if it worked on Macs with Internet Explorer installed, the Mac version of Internet Explorer doesn't like these forms either.

It seems like the only option is to use Internet Explorer on a Windows PC :( and continue to phone / email the people in charge of the forms to tell them it doesn't work on Macs (not that it makes any difference at all since we've being doing that every year for the last few years already!).

19. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It was a joke. ;)

But yes, true. He's not so much a government employee as he is the government itself...

20. Buzz Bumble Guest

Nah, like all the previous office holders, he's just a puppet manipulated by the military, CIA, etc. ;)

21. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I'd reply further, but I think a mod would throw us both out of the thread for being in the wrong forum. Let's just agree the man doesn't own a Zune and move on. :)

22. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it's any comfort, the Canadian government also has an unhealthy obsession with IE, although I've never seen it outright required on any of their public sites. It's just mandatory internally and for the intranets.

23. glowfly macrumors member

its high time these designer people should give in the w3c standards..

24. glowfly macrumors member

he World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is the main international standards organization for the World Wide Web (abbreviated WWW or W3).

and no issues.. knowledge comes from sharing

25. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Browser comes before designer. There's no point in following standards if the browser doesn't do what the standard tells it to.