Web site with 1 hour long videos

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by djsound, Oct 15, 2010.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

So a client just called me and he wants a new site for his kids baseball team. Just a simple site but he wants all the parents to be able to watch each whole game on the site.. my first thought was to use Youtube that way he could do it himself but I think they only allow 10 minute videos. These would be at least an hour......any ideas? I dont really want to convert each video to flash or something . Would the files be to large to watch?? thanks for input

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

You could just make the video as a quicktime of windows media file and embed the file. If you do that, make sure the server is hosted with unlimited bandwidth. If not, you could get hit hard with overage charges.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

hmmmm..ya but it would take forever to load before playing wouldnt it?

4. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

what resolution do they need to be?

and how many people would be watching them?

if you kept the res low and used h.264 to compress it it might be realistic but
    ,i would cut the clip by inning so its multiple files instead of just one monster

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

well i am sure he wants a pretty decent resolution. and the whole team would be watching them...

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

MobileMe Gallery does that pretty well, with full integration from iMovie. I have a number of very long videos in my gallery. Easy to generate multiple resolutions as well, for different bandwidths.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

8. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

hmm maybe vimeo. I have never used it. Finding a server that can store a bunch of 3 gb videos will be hard.....and allowing that much bandwidth...

9. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Use Vimeo. It's $60 per year, but you get around 5gb of uploads per week, and you can have long videos. Let someone else run all the bandwidth and storage for you. Their UI is professional looking too.

10. Lisa-noob macrumors newbie

1. If you're not limited in the bandwidth - convert videos to *.flv or *.swf formats & embed them to the site - the video size will be decreased considerably.
    2. Use an external server (video storage site like Vimeo) - if you upload videos from the external servers they will not make the site heavier

11. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

OP: Do you have MobileMe? Put your content into your /Sites folder and you can host your own files. H.264-encoded QuickTime files (with streaming enabled) will give you beautiful video, if encoded properly.

If the entire team wants to see a 1 hour+ long baseball game, consider making DVDs. Do people really want to sit in front of their computer for over an hour?

-Aaron-

12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

13. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Lisa thats a good idea. Your saying upload them to vimeo but then just embed them on the site i make?