Webcam bandwidth

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Edandlindz28, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Anyone know what service uses low bandwidth? I tried iChat and it I need something a little lower. Yeah internet sucks over here and bandwidth jumps around alot. Yahoo, do you think that will work?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think iChat is the most efficient out there in terms of picture quality-for-bandwidth. Yahoo's quality is unspeakably awful. If iChat doesn't work well, your alternative is prettymuch super-jerky or super-blurry video, neither of which have a whole lot of point.

You could try Skype. The video will probably be worse but it has much nicer audio quality than iChat so at least you can carry on a good conversation...

3. brandon6684 Guest

My wife and I have problems with both low bandwidth and distance(Koera to Kentucky). Skypea actually has good video, but generally at the cost of voice quality. We mostly use Sightspeed, which has decent video, but the audio is better than Skype(at least with Skype video).

4. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I am trying to go from Afghanistan to Co, and being able to download all 29megs for Skype won't happen because the serivce here reloads its webpage every few minutes causing a pause in the download. Sucks. Might have to deal with the jerkyness of yahoo. I will give sightspeed a look.

5. brandon6684 Guest

If you don't even have the bandwith to download the client, I don't know if any video streaming will do too well.