WebCam Disappears with Yahoo Messenger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pani, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Pani macrumors member

Pani

I bought a MacBook a few months ago. I downloaded the Yahoo messenger just fine. I use the webcam when my boyfriend and I am iming. A few days ago, the messenger just "hangs." I just get that little circle and I can no longer view my webcame at the bottom of my screen. MY BF says he gets my transmission from the webcam just fine as the messenger menu at the top still works. But it bugs me I can't see the image he sees. (Being vain, I want to use flattering angels!) Also when I go to photobooth with the messenger on, the camera does not work. There is a camera icon with a line across it. When I sign out of the messenger, the still camera works just fine. My bf thinks I accidentally clicked on something? Any suggestions?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Have you tried deleting Yahoo Messenger and then reinstalling it?

3. morphalex macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong but yahoo messenger is a third party software and there will be it's and from experience that is one of them. I would recommend using skype as it works a lot better and mostly bug free. As for your photobooth not showing the camera with yahoo messenger on it's because yahoo takes precedence over photobooth and the camera can only be used on a single app at any given time.

4. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

So you're downplaying Yahoo Messenger because its third party, and suggesting another third party app, Skype -- because you feel its mostly bug-free? I think focusing on the OP's issue with Yahoo is probably the best way of helping them out.

When you shut down Yahoo Messenger and restart it, does that resolve the issue? You might want to post this on the Yahoo Messenger forums as well, there might be other Mac users with similar problems.

5. Pani thread starter macrumors member

Pani

Thanks

Thank you everyone for responding. Yes, I did delete the old yahoo messenger and reinstall and the same thing happened. Restarting doesn't help either. I will also try posing on the messenger forum. Have a great week!

6. morphalex macrumors member

<fifthroot>

wow fifthroot did I step on your tail bud? I never said skype was bug free, however from using MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Skype I can assure you skype gave ME the best webcam experience. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by badmouthing Yahoo Messenger, I'm helping the OP by suggesting her a different program that works better...why should she be stuck with Yahoo when there are plenty of choices out there?

7. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

If it was a preferences thing you would need to delete the prefs file somewhere in User/Library or Library. They're not usually too hard to find.

8. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot