Webcam for a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by *old-guy*, Jan 11, 2009.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have been keeping one eye open for a web cam on eBay that I can use on my eMac. The thing is that unless I want to pay a fortune for an iSight web cam which, to be quite frank is never going to happen, I am stuck with using one of several brands of web cam that appear to work with Macs but which all seem to have a line of text hidden away in the small print to the effect that the mic doesn't work on Macs, only on Windows based PCs. Which kind of defeats the object.
    But then a thought hit me and maybe you guys can either confirm or deny my thought before I spend my hard earned cash.
    Can I use the web cam to provide the image side of a two way conversation an use the eMac's built in mic to provide the sound?
    Will the two work together in perfect harmony?
    Ta muchly,
    Steve

2. james-thescalie macrumors member

thats a good question.. iwouldnt see why not. are you using skype or msn? because im sure if you were to fiddle with the settings in whatever program your using you could easily do this.

you not able to borrow a webcam off anyone to try it out? i might go do it now actually :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just check the macam website to see it your prospect webcam is supported. Chances are that it is.