Webcam for iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DPM410, Jan 8, 2012.

1. DPM410 macrumors member

Is there a webcam available to buy for video chatting on the iPad 1? My laptop just broke, but I can do everything I would normally do it on it, on my iPad. But because it is an iPad 1, I cannot video chat. Is there an external webcam for the iPad 1?

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Webcams connect to a device via a USB port. There is no USB port on the iPad, so alas, that's not an option.

3. DPM410 thread starter macrumors member

There is not some sort of battery-powered bluetooth webcam? or a webcam made specifically for the ipad?

4. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Not all webcams are USB. Some are wireless. There are adapters for the iPad to create a usb port. Don't think usb webcams would work with it or even wireless ones though because there is no drivers or software. Jailbreaking might give you this option or open up doors for this but I am not too sure.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

6. DPM410 thread starter macrumors member

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

to the best of my knowledge there is nothing. It would be neat if the iPad1 could do video Skype/Facetime. However Apple left that feature out and blocks Apps from using an aftermarket camera. IMHO they did this to get more iPad2 sales.