Webcam for Mac OS X10.3.9

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jensstrandberg, Aug 2, 2007.

1. jensstrandberg macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I have a big problem, I just bought a secondhand Powerbook G4, it is one of the first Powerbooks that was released, so it does not have a built in camera. I would really like to have a web camera that fits it. The problem is that Apple only sells one (Unibrain fire-i) which is compatible for MAC OS X 10.3.9 (that is the system I have) this camera is very expensive. Does anyone who know of a cheaper camera that I can run on my system? I would really much appreciate all suggestions and tips, as there is a jungle of different cameras that I don't understand so much. I am only or mainly using my camera for chatting with friends, so it doesn't have to be anything too fancy. Hope someone can help me with this. Thanks Jens S

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

3. Mr. B macrumors regular

I'm in a similiar position and I'm currently shopping around.

Obviously you can look on amazon for the top rated models and whatnot (and I'm pretty sure almost all of them work with the mac), but a very interesting surprise is that the xbox 360 camera is said to work very well with all mac computers, and is supposedly a very good deal for the price.

It's usb 2.0 I believe, and shoots a very decent picture.

But virtually all webcams will work with your mac.