Webcam for old Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AJKing, Oct 6, 2009.

1. AJKing macrumors member

AJKing

I'm looking to get a webcam for my PowerMac G4 MDD (dual 867MHz) and I'm having some troubles finding something that will actually work with me. Most webcams nowadays are USB 2.0, my PowerMac is USB 1.1 - some have said the USB 2.0 webcams will work but will be extremely slow and not worth the time or money. While I've found some USB 1.1 webcams for Mac's, a lot don't work with anything after 10.4 and I'm running 10.5.7. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You'll probably need to get a USB 2.0 PCI card for your Mac. That should solve your issue. USB 1.1 will never work well for a modern webcam.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Yep, you definitely need a USB 2.0 card. You can get one pretty cheap, and they really are beneficial. When buying a Webcam, make sure it supports OS X!

4. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Does that machine have firewire? if so, it might be worth just shelling out for an original iSight on ebay. I have no experience, so this isn't a recommendation, just a thought. I was considering this for my PowerBook, but I haven't got around to checking if they're supported on 10.5.x but in theory being an Apple original product it is probably the easiest option, though I imagine its specs are probably outweighed by newer cameras on USB2(??)

That said, USB2 is handy anyway - particularly if you have a post-firewire ipod, transfers will be so much quicker.