webcam help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mizzmacmizery, Mar 1, 2010.

1. mizzmacmizery macrumors newbie

i have been trying to chat with friends and family members through webcam for a month or so now. I have tried yahoo, aim and hotmail and nothing seems to work from mac to pc.

can anyone help me figure out what to do or where i can go to private webcam chat with everyone?

any help is greatly appreciated, btw i have all updated versions of each yahoo, aim and hotmail.

thanks mizzmacmizery

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As almost always and usual, more information is needed?

What Mac and Mac OS X version do you use?

Do you mean the iSight with webcam?

iSight and Yahoo

iSight and AIM

iSight and Hotmail

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

How about Skype or the Video Call feature of Google Chat? I use both Mac to PC...

Cheers.

-J.-

4. mizzmacmizery thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a macbook, the white one...not the newest version.

I use mac os x version 10.5.8

I hope this helps...as for the isight thingie...i have no idea

5. tman07 macrumors regular

i agree with theITguy

Skype or gmail chat.

Skype cuse its awesome
    gmail chat because its super easy. Use both all the time from mac to pc and back.

/thread and all others like it.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The iSight is the name of Apple's webcam on top of their computers.

[​IMG]

I gather from your replies you haven't read the other threads involving that issue I linked to?

7. benbondu macrumors regular

I've found Skype to be the most reliable for Mac to PC connections. Gmail can get out of sync pretty easily if one party's broadband connection or computer hardware isn't up to snuff. I've experienced several second delays receiving the audio and/or video from the person I'm talking to when using Gmail. It basically makes having a conversation impossible.

Skype will just lower the video or audio quality to keep from lagging. Gmail can't seem to be able to do that. Of course, I haven't tried Gmail in several months, so maybe it's gotten better.

8. tman07 macrumors regular

Dont get me wrong, i agree with you 100% (although gmail has gotten better, it still gets out of sync every now and again). Skype is by far the best, but for me, gmail is just so darn convenient. I'm always logged into gmail, its not a separate application like skype that i have to remember to run (I HATE programs that start up with the comp) and honestly, i have more friends on gmail than skype. haha

But again, skype's quality trumps gmail's, but they are getting better.