Webcam no longer working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fryc86, Mar 15, 2011.

1. fryc86, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

fryc86 macrumors member

I've heard that there are compatibility issues with usb webcams on os x. But when I first got my mac recently, the camera worked in all the programs I needed it for (skype etc.) I checked this link: http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6471 to see if my cam should work with my computer and it shows up (Logitech c600). But for some reason it no longer works. It isn't recognized by any programs at all, its as if the computer doesn't even know its plugged into the usb port. I installed macam because I heard it might help, but I'm not having any luck with that. Is it normal for a usb device to just stop working on a mac, if it worked previously? The camera itself still works because I can get it working fine on my old windows netbook, so I'm not sure what happened.

As an aside, for other reasons I'm thinking about installing my copy of windows 7 through bootcamp. If I were to do that and had all the windows drivers installed etc. should the windows side recognize a usb webcam that works on other windows computers, or is there a different issue with the compatibility that I'm not understanding.

I apologize, this probably wasn't very clear... thanks in advance.

2. fryc86, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

fryc86 thread starter macrumors member

well I just installed Windows 7 through bootcamp and its still not working. It starts to install like its going to work, but then doesn't. Every time I plug it into the usb port the windows system recognizes that something has been plugged in, but it doesn't know what it is and that's as far as I get. I installed the drivers from logitech for Win 7 and the drivers from the OS X installation disk that I have and everything else works great, just not this, which is strange since it works on other computers, and had worked on my OS X system previously.

p.s. I didn't anticipate talking about Windows so much when starting this thread, so its probably not appropriate in this forum. If you want to move it to the Windows for Mac section I understand, though the problem is still the same in both OS X and win7.

edit: after running through windows updates it SEEMS as if the drivers for the webcam installed correctly, or at least it said it was installed correctly... And when I click on "Devices and Printers" it shows under Devices (3): FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in), Logitech Webcam 600, WINDOWS.

So it seems to be there, but I still can't use it. I'll stop bugging ya'll with updates for now, but I'm at a loss at this point. Not sure if it can be fixed, but I thought I've heard of other people using Logitech cameras with MBPs so I don't know