Webcam Not Working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleanbreaks, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cleanbreaks, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

cleanbreaks macrumors newbie

My iSight on my MBP used to work fine on all apps as well as video chat sites, but it recently started working only occasionally on Omegle/Chatroulette. On my end, I could see myself, but others said they couldn't see me, and their cams were just black boxes like they weren't loading. It was the same way on both Firefox and Safari, so it couldn't be a browser issue. I thought it may have been an issue that came with the newest OS X update (the one with the Mac app store from just the other day), so I reinstalled OS X from the disk that came in the box. Now chat sites don't even recognize it and I get the "webcam required" message as though I don't even have one. But, Skype and iChat can use it just fine.

I even reset the SMC by holding down left shift, control, option, and power with the computer off, but nothing changed. I am running the latest Flash (ver. 10.1.102.64) according to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ Any ideas?

2. cleanbreaks thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, scratch most of that. After reinstalling the OS X update, the cam now works on chat sites to the point that I can see myself, but I am still experiencing the original problem: People's camera's are blank about 70% of the time, and when I ask, everyone says they can't see me even though I am getting video of myself on my computer.