Webcam Reccomendations for those without iSight.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sevennotesinblk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Sevennotesinblk, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Sevennotesinblk macrumors newbie

While most of the Macintosh product line has been bitten with the built-in iSight bug, there are a few current-generation products that do not come equipped as such; the Mac Mini for example.

I am looking for recommendations for a camera, to use for YouTube productions. I most recently favored the built-in iSight in my MacBook (circa 2007.) Resolution is not a HUGE deal, as I much rather favor FRAMERATE. My iSight produced average quality video, but with a fantastic FRAMERATE.

I have watched sample video on YouTube of a variety of webcams, each offering solid low-lighting performance, "high definition" resolution, and whacky overlay graphics... but HORRIBLE framerate.

What would you reccomend, trying to keep it cheap. The Logitech C910/C920 seems the best bet... Rather pricey, though.

2. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

certainly interested to see if anyone has been able to use a Logitech C920 w/OS X (it is not listed as being compatible with OS X on the spec. sheet)

although apparently success varies on what app you're attempting to use it with - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1346564

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Editorial: If you want to produce videos to be uploaded to YouTube, then I would recommend that you get a video camera that is a bit more flexible than a webcam.

Having visited the Logitech website in preparation for this response, I am struck by the substantial reduction in its webcam offerings compared to just a few months ago. They also no longer advertise a Mac-compatible product. This would appear to indicate that the standalone webcam market is dying quickly.

Just because Logitech no longer advertises a Mac-compatible webcam does not mean that it does produce Mac-compatible webcams. MacOS X supports the Universal Video Class (UVC) part of the USB standard. Logitech has a webpage devoted to its past and present webcams that are compliant with the UVC standard.

Among those that are compliant are HD Pro Webcam C920, the HD Webcam C525, and the HD Webcam C270. This is the complete list of webcams currently offered by Logitech.

If you don't like Logitech, then search for other manufacturers. Just be sure that the webcam that you buy is UVC-compliant.

4. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I have the C920, and it worked for a little bit, but now I cannot get it to work at all. Is anyone else having this issue?