Webcam Recommendations???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Artzee, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Artzee macrumors newbie

Artzee

Hi all,

Since Apple no longer makes the iSight and my Powerbook does not have a built in one. I'm looking for a high quality alternative (if one is out there).
    I should also mention that I plan on moving my system from 10.3.9 up to the latest version of Tiger 10.4.9.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:apple:
    My Specs:
    Powerbook G4, 1GHz Mac OS X (10.3.9) 1GB RAM

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you say more about high quality? What do you plan to use it for? There are a number of USB webcams that work without configuration on 10.4.9... one popular one recently has been the XBox camera -- it's not expensive, but it seems to do a very nice job, and there are threads showing it does fairly good video quality. Unlike the original external iSights (but like pretty much every other webcam on the market, including today's iSights), it does not have autofocus.

Logitech makes a number of cameras that have been perennial favorites also... a few that work out of the box with 10.4.9 are discussed here.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Although Apple stopped making the iSight, you can still buy them off eBay. You'll be paying an arm and a leg, but they are really great quality.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Only slightly-OT, I wish someone would work on one with an integrated LED-based ringlight. In terms of video quality for AV chat, the number one issue is lighting. Just like your digital cam will use a flash indoors, these webcams expect a lot more light than we usually have inside the home.

There isn't one like that, is there?

5. skwij macrumors 6502

I love my Logitech Pro 5000. It's got a setting for "low light" situations.

Coupled with KeycamX, it handles anything I need or want it to.

6. Roba macrumors 6502

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I just use my Mini DV camcorder. It is much better quality than the little webcams.