webcam spying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AZgurl, Feb 21, 2010.

1. AZgurl macrumors newbie

I bought a used MacBook Pro through eBay, and now I'm wondering if the previous owner can spy on me through the webcam?

I'm not very tech-savvy, but I did change the owner's name to mine on the computer, changed the internet connection to my wireless, changed the password, and even renamed this computer.

Have I done enough to safeguard my privacy even if they may still have the serial number?

I've heard the green light must go on, but is there a way for them to look at me without the green light?

With the news of the PA school "spying" through webcams, this got me a little concerned. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather have a peace of mind knowing. :)

Many thanks for any help you can give.

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    the green light goes on when the wbcam is switched on abd there is no software way to disable it.

BUT I would definitely reinstall the entire OS. There could be other spying softwares installed. Plus you'll get an fresh installed OSX without any data from the previous user.

cheers,
    Tex

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As long as the original owner hasn't install any spyware or trojan, s/he should not be able to do what you are afraid off. S/he also does not know what ISP you have and thus not know your external IP an can not attack you this way.

To be absolutely sure you can always re-install Mac OS X and wipe the drive via Disk Utility with a Zero Out pass or 7-pass.

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

The green light is tied into the hardware of the webcam and it is not possible to run the webcam without the light.

5. NIPRING macrumors 6502

There's a story on engadget right now about a school district that has laptops for its students to tkae home and they have been caught red-handed of remotely turning on the webcams :eek:

6. La-vida227 macrumors member

you absolutely need to clear the hard drive and start fresh...

7. Maczz macrumors newbie

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Reformat the drive and reinstall the OS. That will eliminate all doubt and concern

9. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

hahahhaha i take it you read that story about the high school kids with MBP's being spied on by their school district?

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

This is what I would do.

As for the kids that were spied on, I'm surprised that the kids didn't find out about the software sooner.