Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can recommend an application for live web streaming of my webcam. I have Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. Have the drivers all installed and it works great. I just don't have any software to stream this mug of mine over the net.

I used to have a similar program for PC, but that was ages ago. Any advice?

Thanks!

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
That would mean I have to create a AIM account of Yahoo messenger.

I just want a streaming application... :)

Thanks tho!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Well, what website do you want it to stream to? I suppose you could set something up in Quicktime Pro...

Do you just want to have it broadcast to a website for anyone to visit and see what you are up to, rather than chatting with them specifically? what are you charging?

How about VLC?

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Just want to broadcast it to someone so they can see what I'm up to that sort of thing.

The last program I had on PC was basically a personal server. It used your IP address as the address for the webcam and people just went directly to that. No need for a static webpage or anything.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Just want to broadcast it to someone so they can see what I'm up to that sort of thing.

The last program I had on PC was basically a personal server. It used your IP address as the address for the webcam and people just went directly to that. No need for a static webpage or anything.

VLC ought to work for you, then.

MukelG

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
I've been trying to do the same thing to use as a security type system for my room. VLC can't do the webcam thing on OSX. Atleast, it's not listed on the features page and I can't figure out how to.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If you don't actually need video (i.e., photos are fine) for security purposes, I like EvoCam. It's relatively cheap and pretty powerful.

MukelG

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
If you don't actually need video (i.e., photos are fine) for security purposes, I like EvoCam. It's relatively cheap and pretty powerful.

I tried to use evocam to use my machine as the host, and it wasn't loading on any other computer I tried to access the webcam on, which I thought was weird.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I tried to use evocam to use my machine as the host, and it wasn't loading on any other computer I tried to access the webcam on, which I thought was weird.
That is odd.

I've used it on numerous occasions to upload motion-detection pics to an FTP server (when on vacation) as well as other uses, and never had any problems.

*** wait ***

Just tried webcam feature (never used it before) on my MBP. I see it fine on the MB. Perhaps you have router config issues? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.