webcam with pc users?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mama2jilli, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mama2jilli macrumors newbie

hey all. i am new to mac- always wanted one, just got one ( : one of the main reasons i got a mac was for the built in webcam. only problem is i cant figure out how to use it with my family members back home that are on PCs. anyone have any suggestions as to what programs i can install to make this happen or just advice as to how to make it work? greatly appreciated!

2. macdave121 macrumors newbie

for mac to pc video chat skype is probably best

3. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

Cross-Platform Webcam Chat Apps

Agreed, Skype is probably the best cross-platform video conferencing choice (but note you want to go thru extra hoops to find the latest v2.7 BETA FOR MAC version download link for full Mac video support, not the current public 2.6 release) Some other possible apps are listed at http://mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ Video Apps page. Theoretically, iChat and AOL Instant Messenger PC v5.5+ are supposed to be compatible, but I find 1. The vast majority of PC users aren't absolutely current with AOL's software, and 2. often trying to connect to them for voice or video just doesn't work, can't establish a connection, or worse causes lockup on your or their end.

4. mama2jilli thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.

thanks so much for your help ( : im still tryin to work on it and get all the kinks worked out but thanks for your help!