Webcam with webstreaming?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lofight, Jan 31, 2008.

1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

We have a vacation house in France, and we would like to place a webcam there outside.

Now, some questions / requirements.
    - What kind of webcam would it be best?/price related with regular quality.
    - With what program(s) can i stream via the web
    - Do i need a computer in France or can i also just attach it to a wifi router?
    - The webcam will stay outside, but probably with a rain covered box around it.
    - I have a labtec USB webcam, can i use that one with the computer their or attached to the router?
    - router is a wanadoo livebox with a usb port.
    - How good will the actual quality be viewing it via the web?
    - The framerate doesn't need to be so high, but the picture quality average.
    - Do i have to pay for special streaming services?

2. joshamorrison macrumors newbie

Stand Alone

Personally, I think that the stand alone cameras with integrated wifi are the way to go. You can find a camera that supports b/g networks from companies like linksys, panasonic and d-link. The nice thing about these cameras are that they do not require a computer, they are accessible like any network appliance through any web browser. Most have decent resolution think 640 by 480 but the frame rate may be lacking. An option you may want but requires a computer (usually) is the ability to sense motion.
    Linksys WVC54GC $100
    Panasonic BL-C20A $180
    Good Luck!

3. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

thanks, now i know what kind of webcams i have to search for.
    But if i look to the linksys you gave, it says that it only works with windows.. i'm Mac OS X... :(
    the panasonic looks very good!! but in the instructions it says indoor use only.. and again i read that it only works with windows, or is there a way to let them both work on a mac?

4. FlyingDutchman macrumors newbie

Please be aware that I'm not an expert but I have heard about IP based webcams. All that is required is a wired (ethernet) or wireless connection to a router. A computer is not requires, perhaps only for the setup (one time).

5. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

A one time setup is possible.. And we are willing to pay untill around 175€ ..

6. FlyingDutchman macrumors newbie

I did a quick search on google (UK) and found this link, it seems to come with nice features, wireless, built-in webserver, motion sensor etc. etc. and within your budget

http://www.ipcctvcameras.co.uk/WirelessIPCameras.htm

I'm sure there is a camera that will fit exactly what you need...

7. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

this is the same one joshamorrison listed.. I really like it, but after some research after it, i found that it only works with pc.. am i wrong?

EDIT: i now seet that it's a whole page, but still aren't they all pc?

8. FlyingDutchman macrumors newbie

Again, I'm not an expert and I might be wrong. But I think that one doesn't need a PC after it has been setup. You do need a computer to do the one time setup. I think it works like it does with a router, namely that you use a webinterface and not a PC based application...so that shoudl work with a mac as well.

9. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

I can do a one-time setup, but not with a windows pc, only with a mac.. if it works with a mac, fine..

10. FlyingDutchman macrumors newbie

My point was that if the configuration of the webcam is webbased, it doesn't matter if you use a PC or MAC, since the interface is a webbrowser. I don't know if you have configured a router yourself, but normally you enter the IP address of the router in your web browser (ie. Safari) and then a configuration screen will appear. This would be the same for the IP based camera, unless it requires specific software ofcourse... If I were you I would try to find an IP based camera and then download the manual to see how such a camera needs to be set up.

11. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

I have done that once, it really was a pain in the a** but eventually it worked, so after my holiday, I'm going to take a look in a store, and ask some questions. Lots of thanks Flying Dutchman

12. xStep macrumors 68000

I have a Panasonic BL-C10A which is not wireless. To set it up I temporarily changee my Mac's IP address to be compatible (mask) with the camera. The software disc that came with it only runs on Windows, so the hack let me connect to the web interface directly to change the IP to be a compatible address to my network. I then changed the Mac IP back. Many of these cameras only list compatibility with Windows, but I would expect this trick will likely work with these web interface cameras.

There are outdoor cameras and indoor cameras. The outdoor models are built much more rugged and likely have specs that can handle higer temperature differences.

My camera, and I've noticed the specs on others, have the ability to stream the image. Mine isn't the fastest but usable. Also it is limited to how many steams it can support.

As for quality. I consider the image from mine to be soft. Some might even say it is a bit blury. These cheaper cameras do not have the best sensors or optics. For that you have to spend at least a U.S. grand.

The web interface has a user and password for the administrator and you can set one up for guests to have special previledges. There are several customizations you can set on the camera. I had my camera setup to load an image to my web site every 15 minutes.

I set my router up so that port 8080 knows to go to the internal camera address and port (I think 80). This allowed me to see live results including the streaming, and to also log into the camera if I wanted to make changes.

Last, you must recognize that routers and cameras can get stuck and non responsive. So if no one is there to reset them, you'll have to live without it until someone can, or a power drop does it for you.

See the attached samples. These are bit old and the camera is now in storage for while.

Attached Files:

13. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Thanks for the info. But how do i change my computers ip?
    The reset thing is quite annoying, but we go to there 5 times a year...

14. xStep macrumors 68000

I manually set the IP of my Mac to something like 192.168.1.3 by using the Network panel in System preferences. I choose to use a manual setting and also set the mask to 255.255.255.0. After setting up the camera, I immediately reset my Mac back to the previous settings and then continued to customize the camera setttings at its new IP address.

The reset thing is annoying. Over several years I found it was the router or my cable modem that gave me the most problems. The camera it self seemed very stable. I wasn't resetting the boxes weekly. It was just an occasional unpredictable issue.

15. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

I think there still is a long road untill we will place a webcam...

16. GregE macrumors 6502

I use Axis cameras at my office. None need a PC. They are all connected into my network and then I created a webpage to display all 6 at the same time but you can also just access them by using the IP address of them. You would need to have your router set up to port forward to the internal IP address.

Here is a screenshot I just took of the 2 outside cameras (they are my newest ones). These are Axis Model 211 and they are in an enclosure. I really like them. They also have it in a wireless model.

[​IMG]

17. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Theese sorts cost to much.. We only need a simple webcam that can be viewed via internet.

18. GregE macrumors 6502

I don't think you will be able to do it with a webcam. Network cameras may be more than you want to spend but they are what you are describing.

FYI, I never have to reboot them, they are always up. I can access them from any PC at work, my iMac at home, or my Palm Treo phone. The picture quality is great. No computer is necessary.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

19. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

The thing is, it's not so necessary.. Just for the joy of seeing our house when we aren't there.. We don't want to spend more than 150$ on this...

20. rrr macrumors member

Do any of these wifi cameras, particularly the Axis ones, easily push content to an external server?

I would like to be able to use cameras in a few residential situations from behind NAT routers without alot of hassle. Ideally, these cameras would initiate a connection to an external webserver (on a public IP) in another location and push their content (files, or even better, live streams) to the server. The content could then be viewed from the server by anyone in the outside world.