Webcams

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m3gau, Apr 8, 2007.

1. m3gau macrumors member

Hey
    I've just switched to Mac and love it but when i used windows on messenger you could see peoples webcams and vice versa and the same on skype. is this possible on Mac? Because i can't seem to find how to do it.
    Thanks

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Okay I'm assuming you've downloaded the Microsoft MSN messenger for Mac. Delete it immediately, it's possibly one of the worst pieces of software ever written.

You have two choices with webcam in MSN, neither of which are the greatest MSN clients, but they do work.

aMSN is simpler with fewer features, and is relatively easy to use. It's generally quite slooow though.

Mercury Messenger is far more feature laden, it's got basically everything in it, including real time translation. However I find it confusing to use.

The best MSN client by far though, is Adium. There is no webcam support, but it's the most common messenger on Mac. When I want to do webcam over MSN, I just switch over to aMSN.

You should also look at getting an AIM account, which you can use with iChat. The webcamming in iChat will blow you away...

3. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

4. trotilac macrumors newbie

damn .. it's good i saw this post!
    I downloaded this bloody Microsoft MSN Messanger .. crap.

5. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

aMSN doesn't support sound I don't know about Mercury Messenger and Adium is the best for text chat plus its supports aim yahoo messengers msn ect.

:apple:

6. kolax macrumors G3

Bit of a pain - just have to wait for MS to give us a newer version, if they do do that.

7. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I use Mecury Messenger frequently. It is incredibly slow to load up compared to other ones, and looks and feels like a horrible piece of software, unless you get the settings just right. so if you have the patience to tweak the settings you will love this programme

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Microsoft only just released the current version about two moths ago :rolleyes:

slackers

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You'll be waiting a long time buddy. :rolleyes: