Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Somehow I go webcrypto master key running in my brand new Macbook Pro 16. Last night I watch a couple of NetFlix video with no problem. Today I booted up Netflix and got the following message, "Friendly steaming wants to access key "Friendly Streaming Webcrypto Master Key" in your keychain". To allow this, enter the "login" keychain password.

Allows allow, Deny, or Allow.

None of these options work for me and I haven't any idea as to what the password is. I've only be using this new laptop for a couple of weeks and am in the process of setting it up.

Do you think if I uninstall "Friendly streaming" and then reinstalled it, the problem would go away? Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Reactions: rmwiebe

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
This dialog is asking you for YOUR login password for the account, not for the webcrypto master key itself. Your login password is used to unlock the keychain and give access to the key stored there to this application.
Considering the name of this key and my complete lack of understanding what "Friendly steaming" and this key are for, I would be bit worried to suggest you give this access. I am bit suspicious about this whole thing. Calling anything "webcrypto" seems poor choice or words. Do you know that this is safe?

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
This dialog is asking you for YOUR login password for the account, not for the webcrypto master key itself. Your login password is used to unlock the keychain and give access to the key stored there to this application.
Considering the name of this key and my complete lack of understanding what "Friendly steaming" and this key are for, I would be bit worried to suggest you give this access. I am bit suspicious about this whole thing. Calling anything "webcrypto" seems poor choice or words. Do you know that this is safe?
This problem is now on my old MBA as, "webcrypto master key" stuff migrates. It first showed up on my new MBP when I was installing something. I first noticed it today when I was trying to access my Friendly Streaming app. I don't remember EVER setting to my LP. So, when I loaded Friendly Streaming, it popped up with a choice of Always Allow, Deny or Allow, I entered my 4 digit PW. I tried all 3 options without success. After several attempts, I tried using my Time Machine which I'm in the middle of as I write this. Switched to my old MBA that now had the same problem. On the machine, a tap on Always Allow seems to have cleared up the problem. I should have NEVER went with the webcrypto option. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do a clean install on my new MBP 16" M1 and TOTALLY staying away from webcrypto. Does webcrypto allow me to change passwords (in my case a 4 digit number).

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Calling anything "webcrypto" seems poor choice or words. Do you know that this is safe?
WebCrypto Encryption is a web standard to improve the security and performance of apps running in the browser. We need a web developer to explain it properly. The WebKit has this https://webkit.org/blog/7790/update-on-web-cryptography/. I don't understand much of it, except that it is a good thing!
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do a clean install on my new MBP 16" M1 and TOTALLY staying away from webcrypto
I don't know if you need to go to those lengths and, in practice, you won't get away from WebCrypto which is used by Safari (and other browsers) without you knowing it!

I suggest to contact the developers of Friendly Streaming Browser https://friendly.io/. There probably is a simple solution.

Reactions: stephane_p

stephane_p

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2023
Somehow I go webcrypto master key running in my brand new Macbook Pro 16. Last night I watch a couple of NetFlix video with no problem. Today I booted up Netflix and got the following message, "Friendly steaming wants to access key "Friendly Streaming Webcrypto Master Key" in your keychain". To allow this, enter the "login" keychain password.

Allows allow, Deny, or Allow.

None of these options work for me and I haven't any idea as to what the password is. I've only be using this new laptop for a couple of weeks and am in the process of setting it up.

Do you think if I uninstall "Friendly streaming" and then reinstalled it, the problem would go away? Any help would be appreciated greatly!
I'm one of the devs of Friendly Streaming, webcrypto is part of the webkit standard offered to websites to encrypt some data. For example, Netflix uses it for its DRM and other things.

We are working on fixing that in the next update, in the meantime, The best way around this issue is to:
1- quit friendly
2- open the "Keychain access" app (in applications/Utilities) or look for "keychain access" in spotlight.
3- in Keychain Access, look for this key (enter "Friendly Streaming" in the search box)
4- delete the key,
5- Launch friendly streaming again. When navigating to any website that uses webcrypto, a new "friendly streaming webcrypto master key" will be created.

I'm attaching some screenshots:
image (3).png
image (2).png

Hope this helps,
Don't hesitate to contact us via our support email if you need more information.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.