Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Webex today announced the launch of its new Webex app that's designed for the Apple TV 4K. The app is designed to allow hybrid workers to join meetings from the biggest screen they have, which is often a television.

webex-apple-tv.jpg

Users are able to scan the QR code on the sign-in screen and log in to the Webex app on Apple TV in order to join a meeting. Participating in a chat will require wirelessly connecting an iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV 4K to use the iOS device as a microphone and video camera.

Apple has previously used the iPhone/iPad to Apple TV connection for FaceTime, but the functionality is available to third-party apps as well.

webex-apple-tv-participants.jpg

Webex says that users can expect "crystal-clear audio and video," with the app offering a preview of video and microphone status ahead of when a meeting is joined. Calendar integration is available, and the Siri Remote can be used for browsing through meetings and accessing in-meeting controls such as the camera on the connected iOS device.

Up to 25 simultaneous attendees can be shown on one screen with the Webex app for the Apple TV 4K, and the app can be downloaded from the App Store on the device. To use Webex on a TV, users must have a second-generation Apple TV 4K or later and an iOS device with either iOS 17 or iPadOS 17.

Article Link: Webex Now Available on Apple TV 4K for Video Calls

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
My worst conferencing experience ever was on Webex. I was hosting a 300+ person call featuring my customer's CTO as the main speaker. Unfortunately, I was unable to convince the team planning the call to use anything other than Webex. During the call, Webex straight up decided that the CTO should sound like a spastic robot. Nothing would fix it and the call was ultimately ended early....

I wish I could have experienced that in 4K so I am excited about this update!

fontman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Wow I have to agree that they are the worst conference experience I've ever had every time somebody asked to use WebEx I cringe it takes forever to get logged into the service it's horrible

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
Wow I have to agree that they are the worst conference experience I've ever had every time somebody asked to use WebEx I cringe it takes forever to get logged into the service it's horrible
You're describing MS Teams for my org. It's a ****** platform so we use Webex cloud

Fortunately no one uses WebEx any more, so this problem is solved!
This isn't true at all. I admin our corporate Webex and we've had 147,000 meetings in January.

Last edited:

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
If Apple released a tiny webcam that attached to the top of your TV... it would convert Apple TV into an awesome video conferencing option for families...

It wouldn't even cost that much... and they could integrate it with FaceTime etc
You can get iPhone holders that attach to the top of your TV. No need to buy an additional camera.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You can get iPhone holders that attach to the top of your TV. No need to buy an additional camera.
yeah but thats awkward... to keep on attaching and disconnecting... just put a fixed camera on the top of the TV... with a shutter for privacy etc

They could easily sell a basic webcam for 50 dollars..

Reactions: dabotsonline

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Truly the definition of the "killer app"! The Apple TV has finally arrived!

Side note - how about that Photoshop job? Multiple people talking at the same time, one guy obviously teaching a class, several more waving goodbye! AND an apparently precocious 9-year-old employee, Tessa! That's some meeting...

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
yeah but thats awkward... to keep on attaching and disconnecting... just put a fixed camera on the top of the TV... with a shutter for privacy etc

They could easily sell a basic webcam for 50 dollars..
The ones I’ve seen are mag mounts for less than $25 so you just turn it on and set it on the holder. Plus I don’t think any decent video camera with a mic and hardware to stream to the Apple TV would be less than say $150 and probably more. Just my opinion. Since I have a phone and a holder I use for hiking (folds up and I can carry it in my wallet), I probably won’t get anything more. Add in that I’m retired so it is just the occasional call to my family, I see it as a fun option but no need to spend money.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Clearly you have never used Teams. 🤦

Reactions: FelineTech

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I think Apple is the only company on the planet that uses this tool. idk what kind of deal they made with Cisco, but Apple there are better alternatives.....

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If Apple released a tiny webcam that attached to the top of your TV... it would convert Apple TV into an awesome video conferencing option for families...
Better yet, Apple TV Pro with built-in camera and microphone. Even better, make it a soundbar with built-in Apple TV and microphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.