Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikaswialei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Hey all, just purchased a new MBP with 4gb ram, 2.8 GHz i7, and the Intel HD 3000 384 mb. I am trying to view some things in chrome ( and FF) using webGL like http://iacopoapps.appspot.com/hopalongwebgl/ for example. I am only able to view the bottom right quadrant and the rest remains black. I am able to view it just fine on an older MBP with the geforce 320m (i think). Is the intel hd 3000 really this bad??? Pretty disappointed, wondering if there are custom drivers or something that could maybe make this thing perform at a fraction of what I even expected?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Just give it time it is a driver issue most likely. Mac platform is not actually on the priority list decent support will come eventually.

OpenGL drivers are a mess and Apple has their own. Be patient at the moment there isn't really anything useful with WebGL anyway. Only those demos I know of.

Looks quite cool. The Intel GPU is more than capable of handling that it is just drivers. Intel has even the most open company about drivers. Traditionally Intel is often more reliable than Nvidia or AMD drivers in such things.
I guess Apples own driver does some things differently and that causes loads of bugs.
Opera 12 Aplha is unusable on mac with Nvidia yet runs quite okay on Windows (for an Alpha with a new Vega backend) or when switched to Intel.
There the Demo leads to a crash on Nvidia but works just fine on Intel.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Safari has WebGL disabled by default.

To enable it do this (Got this from Apple support):

In Safari, open the Safari menu and select Preferences.

Then, click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window.

Then, at the bottom of the window, check the Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox.

Then, open the Develop menu in the menu bar and select Enable WebGL.

Have fun!

Enjoy!
-P

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When I enable my 6750, it says its my GPU doesn't even support WebGL… which is weird, but I know it does.

EDIT: Interesting, I only see that message in Safari, I can see the full image in Firefox. Also if I use my 6750 and then switch back to the HD3000, it will still show the full image albeit at a much lower frame rate.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
When I enable my 6750, it says its my GPU doesn't even support WebGL… which is weird, but I know it does.

EDIT: Interesting, I only see that message in Safari, I can see the full image in Firefox. Also if I use my 6750 and then switch back to the HD3000, it will still show the full image albeit at a much lower frame rate.

Hmmm....I don't have any issues on my MBP with the 6750 in Safari or anything else.

FYI: I have a bunch of stuff open right now (doing work) including VMWare, Word, Excel, PS, Eclipse, Safari, FF, TextWrangler, WINE, Navicat Lite, Filezilla, FF, and Xcode.

When I go to the site the OP posted I get between 57 and 60 FPS in Safari. Mostly 60 but once in awhile it will drop to 57.

I'm running the latest of OS X with 16 GB of memory and the 1GB 6750.

Not trying to brag or anything just giving you some stats... :)

-P

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm running the latest of OS X with 16 GB of memory and the 1GB 6750.

Not trying to brag or anything just giving you some stats... :)

-P

I would never assume listing specs is bragging… until you specifically say you're not bragging ;)

Anyways I also have 16GB of RAM and the 1GB 6750… and the 2.3GHz processor :p

Still weird I can't see anything with my 6750 in Safari and I know the browser is up-to-date.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I would never assume listing specs is bragging… until you specifically say you're not bragging ;)

Anyways I also have 16GB of RAM and the 1GB 6750… and the 2.3GHz processor :p

Still weird I can't see anything with my 6750 in Safari and I know the browser is up-to-date.

Safari works under 10.7.2 (60fps) on my iMac once I turn on the Developer bits as suggested. Firefox worked immediately.

Also worked fine on Firefox on my Alienware (64fps)

Hey all, just purchased a new MBP with 4gb ram, 2.8 GHz i7, and the Intel HD 3000 384 mb. I am trying to view some things in chrome ( and FF) using webGL like http://iacopoapps.appspot.com/hopalongwebgl/ for example. I am only able to view the bottom right quadrant and the rest remains black. I am able to view it just fine on an older MBP with the geforce 320m (i think). Is the intel hd 3000 really this bad??? Pretty disappointed, wondering if there are custom drivers or something that could maybe make this thing perform at a fraction of what I even expected?

No more than 7-8fps on the Intel HD3000 in a Dell E6420 but I get the entire screen.

Cheers,

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana

Damn! You saw right through me. :p

Well, you have stumped me why it doesn't work in Safari.

I have now tried it on a few different Macs and I haven't see one get that error message. I did see that the performance varied from machine to machine based on their specs. However, they all ran fine.

Maybe 10.7.3 will fix it??

Cheers!
-P

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I seem to get higher FPS with the HD3000 (48) than with my 6750 (30)... 16GB RAM, 1GB 6750, 2.2ghz i7 here.

I am confused.

It is running at a higher resolution than you 15"ers, I suppose.

When the browser window (chrome in my case) is resized smaller, both graphics systems will top it out to 60FPS, but when I resize it to ~1600x1200 pixels the HD3000 runs faster :0

I think I may boot into windows and see what's up on that side.

Last edited:

mikaswialei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
I just started a virtual machine running win 7 and it works fine in chrome there. So you must be right about the driver issue. Sigh...hopefully something works out eventually.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
WebGL must be enabled manually via the Develop menu:

1. Go into preferences.
2. Select the Advanced tab.
3. Check "Show Develop menu in menu bar".
4. Make sure "Enable WebGL" is checked in the Develop menu.

The webpage loads for me just fine.

EDIT: It seems a little glitchy though, which explains why the feature isn't default.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.