Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but generally speaking I find the people on MR to be very helpful, even with non-mac questions.

I'm working with a few people on a web business and we want to setup a host to begin the development on. I've done a lot of web development in the past, but that was always for other people, and except for my own personal web site I never had to negotiate through the sea of webhosts before.

I'm looking for a host that we can use to develop a prototype site for our business. The traffic would be limited only to myself and my partners, so I don't need lots of bandwidth or storage space...although it would be nice to pick a webhost that can scale up as we move our prototype into testing and eventually into production.

I'm not opposed to a shared-server setup, but I think we might need a collocated setup in order to get the flexibility we need. Here is a laundry list of features we need:

1) Unix/linux hosting
2) PHP/MySQL
3) Perl, CPAN
4) SSH
5) subversion
6) forum software (such as phpBB)
7) HTTPS
8) create multiple unix accounts (so that each developer has their own account)
9) virtual hosts + subdomain management

I'm guessing that there are not many hosts which offer all of these features, which is why I think we might need our own dedicated box. That way I could install and setup any software that I need that isn't already there.

Any pointers to good webhosts which fit the bill? I looked at the sticky, but most of those seem a little too restrictive for what we need.

Otherwise, any idea on price range? My personal home page is hosted on a $9/mo. server, so I set that as the baseline. Hopefully not paying more than $40-50 a month, although if we need to we can do as much as a couple hundred.

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I dont really have any recommendations for hosts, but I think from your description of needs that perhaps a VPS (virtual private server) might suit you. A dedicated server could be a bit pricy, and a VPS will give you all the benefits (root access, your own software) without giving you an entire physical box.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
You should look at Penguin Web Hosting https://www.penguinwebhosting.com/hosting/

or Joyent. http://joyent.com/

I don't remember what Joyent charged, but I remember reading about them and though they were close to $45.

Penguin is who I host with currently. I know they will help in any way possible. Like if you need an app installed, or an extension installed... call them up and they'll hop right on it. They're cheap, too. I pay $14 something a month for my hosting.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
http://www.lunarpages.com is pretty good. You'll hear good and bad about their support. I've been with them for a year and the support is good if you provide them enough info, etc.

I agree with the poster above that a VPS is a good start for you. Should be right around $40/month.

Good luck.

savar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
http://www.lunarpages.com is pretty good. You'll hear good and bad about their support. I've been with them for a year and the support is good if you provide them enough info, etc.

I agree with the poster above that a VPS is a good start for you. Should be right around $40/month.

Good luck.

VPS sounds perfect. I didn't even know that was an option. I really appreciate the advice! I'm probably going to go with lunarpages...

vijay mohan

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
For the features u need. for them i will recommend for a site which i have used and suggested also to my friends is web hosting site.I think it could really help u a lot.I have also used this for this kind of requirement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.