Webhost recommendations?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Ferc Kast, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

After horrible customer service from my current web host for a major issue, I find myself in the market for a new web host.

I was curious if there were any decent ones that could be recommended, or ones I should completely avoid?

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

What are you hosting? i.e., static site, some kind of CMS, custom app (if so, what language/framework/services do you need)?

3. Ferc Kast thread starter macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

It’s currently hosting a Wordpress blog, but I’m recoding my site into a custom CMS to have more control over what I will have on my site and its appearance.

4. 960design macrumors 68020

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424725,00.asp
    Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.32.12 PM.png

I have used most of these in the last couple of years for low priority sites and have had happy customers.

5. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Since no one else has, here's my referral code for Dreamhost (who I've used for several clients with no complaints):
    https://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?115079

I have an account with MediaTemple for my personal and client sites, it's not as cheap as others (about 20 bucks a month) but great uptime and support.

6. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

I have used MediaTemple for many years and still recommend them. Although the service quality has dropped a bit since they were acquired by GoDaddy.

I use Pair for clients with more limited needs (single website without excessive traffic). It's my go-to budget host.

I avoid GoDaddy and any EIG (Endurance International Group) hosts like the plague. Also, anyone promising "unlimited" anything often cannot deliver.

7. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I throw my hat in for A2 Hosting.

If you choose them I'll flip you my affiliate link!

8. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

I jumped around from shared hosting providers for 10 years or so and wound up on a Linode VPS. I was tired of arguing with Bluehost about server performance.

9. Fillie macrumors newbie

I recently switched to Veerotech after terrible experiences and support from a number of different hosts, including Bluehost. I've been quite happy with Veerotech for a number of reasons:
    Fast support
    Monthly billing (I hate paying for a full year upfront when I do not know if they are a quality host)
    They have not (yet) tried to sell my anything (Bluehost was HORRIBLE for this! Everytime I signed into cPanel, there was so many ads and deals thrown in my face).

The only downside is that the micro package only allows you to host a single domain. You have to upgrade to the next tier to have unlimited domains. Its still quite affordable, but would be nice to be able to host a few more domains on the micro package.

Anyways, been very happy with them and available to speak with others about my experience. They are also listed as a recommended webhost in /r/webhosting.

If you wish to sign up to try them out, here is my affiliate link: https://affiliates.veerotech.net/clickthru.php?id=360.

Would anyone like to chat further?

10. Kari3 macrumors newbie

Can you give a little bit more info about your requirements and up to what price the plan should be? I personally am very satisfied with my host - BGOcloud, but its servers are located in Europe. The speed is perfect for my needs, but in your case i don't know if you need a host which servers are located in the USA or your target audience is located somewhere else?

11. willph macrumors newbie

I am not sure if this is allowed, but I do sales for a Smaller Canadian webhost: Websavers.
    My affiliate link: https://clients.websavers.ca/whmcs/aff.php?aff=96

Pricing is ideal if you are american and can take advantage of no taxes, and better exchange rate :) USD > CAD.
    No phone support but servers are not overloaded, and very prompt ticket/email support.

Just giving another option. I've hosted with them for about 10 years before taking on a part time sales role after referring a ton of people through the affiliate program.

-William

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I am using AWS/Route53. It's amazing the amount of tools you get access to in the AWS dashboard.

13. Deepesh iyer macrumors newbie

Since from 3 years, I have hosted https://serverbasket.com/ hosting services, and I have not faced, any issues with their services. I would like to continue, their hosting services in further, because of their fully satisfactory services and expert support team which resolved my queries in minutes. I updated my plans according to my needs, at affordable prices. This best reliable hosting services really make my business to next platform without any issues. I strongly recommend this hosting services.

14. thealpha1 macrumors member

Personally I would recommend HawkHost or BigScoots.

www.webhostingtalk.com is the place to see what’s good and what’s not. WHB can literally make or brake a site.

15. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

Do they support WordPress?

16. jemmyrichard macrumors newbie

I think you should first go through these list of best hosting providers and their review regarding their services and after that it will be easy for you to find the best one.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-web-hosting-services
    https://www.wpblog.com/wordpress-hosting-providers/
    https://bestwphosting.nl/
    https://hostingfacts.com/

17. bobbydaz macrumors regular

For THE best customer support go with Siteground. Good value WordPress hosting and great support. Just read their online customer reviews says it all.

18. oliverdev macrumors newbie

oliverdev

If your custom CMS based website is build on PHP then I would recommend you to avoid shared hosting and go with a vps or a cloud. VPS are cheap these days. You have DigitalOcean, Linode and Vultr. Their plans starts from $5 i think. You can also get their free trial to give them a try.

Since shared hosting has resources shared with different webmasters, the speed and security might be compromised. Whereas, with vps, you get dedicated server. You can setup whatever OS and stack you want, and run whatever application you want. You also get root access and ssh access that most of the cpanel based sites don't provide you. Some vps, allow you to setup environment in one click, like DigitalOcean. However, you will still have to configure the services yourself. That's the only con with vps, i.e. you need to setup and manage your servers yourself, which could be time and cost intensive, in case you decide to hire a sysadmin team.

To make things little easier for you, you can use server provisioning tools like Chef, Puppet or Ansibe to make the setup and deployment easier and efficient. If you don't want to manage servers yourself either, then you will have to go with managed PHP web hosting platforms, like Cloudways, where you just deploy your php app on the server and let the providers manage your server. Services like these use infrastructures, like DigitalOcean and others. This means you will still be hosting on DigitalOcean, but it will be through this platform. This means that a server that costs you $5 might cost you $10 because of the additional features and services you are getting.

You can explore each option and decide for yourself.

19. amanwaa macrumors newbie

amanwaa

If you need the best hosting providers, then we recommend getting one free with your web host or website building provider. Once you have chosen your domain name you will need a website and require hosting so it's best to get your domain with whoever provides these services for you. If you don't already have a website then we recommend choosing a site builder from GoogieHost or any other hosting providers, who will give you a free domain and 1000s of templates to let you build a website. If you do already have a website designed, we recommend choosing a web host who will give you a free domain and host your website live on the internet.

20. lynchdavidh macrumors member

lynchdavidh

Depends on what you're looking for. WP Engine is far and away the top web hosting company for individual WordPress websites. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, SiteGround is also great. I recommend SiteGround to people a lot and get almost unanimously positive responses.