Webhost recommendations?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Ferc Kast, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

After horrible customer service from my current web host for a major issue, I find myself in the market for a new web host.

I was curious if there were any decent ones that could be recommended, or ones I should completely avoid?

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

What are you hosting? i.e., static site, some kind of CMS, custom app (if so, what language/framework/services do you need)?

3. Ferc Kast thread starter macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

It’s currently hosting a Wordpress blog, but I’m recoding my site into a custom CMS to have more control over what I will have on my site and its appearance.

4. 960design macrumors 68000

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424725,00.asp
    Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.32.12 PM.png

I have used most of these in the last couple of years for low priority sites and have had happy customers.

5. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Since no one else has, here's my referral code for Dreamhost (who I've used for several clients with no complaints):
    https://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?115079

I have an account with MediaTemple for my personal and client sites, it's not as cheap as others (about 20 bucks a month) but great uptime and support.

6. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

I have used MediaTemple for many years and still recommend them. Although the service quality has dropped a bit since they were acquired by GoDaddy.

I use Pair for clients with more limited needs (single website without excessive traffic). It's my go-to budget host.

I avoid GoDaddy and any EIG (Endurance International Group) hosts like the plague. Also, anyone promising "unlimited" anything often cannot deliver.

7. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I throw my hat in for A2 Hosting.

If you choose them I'll flip you my affiliate link!

8. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

I jumped around from shared hosting providers for 10 years or so and wound up on a Linode VPS. I was tired of arguing with Bluehost about server performance.