WebKit hanging on launch

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hi there folks - long time without a post!

I've been having an issue with all of my PowerPC Macs (iMac G4 & a number of PowerBooks) running Leopard WebKit for as long as I can remember, and I've only realised that's it a seemingly unique issue to myself after talking to a few people and reading a bunch of threads where users haven't highlighted the issue at all.

In short when I first launch Leopard WebKit the application will hang (beachball) for 30-40 seconds before I can start browsing. After this I am able to browse just fine and as long as I CMD+W instead of quitting the application it doesn't get in the way, however it's an annoying inconvenience and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Originally I figured it might have something to do with the application having some sort of an issue loading in Leopard WebKit's start page, however even after setting the app to launch to a blank page it still hangs on me.

Does anyone else out there have this issue? Any suggestions appreciated

fourbirds

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2019
Do you have an adblock extension installed? Mine hangs on startup for 5 to 20 seconds depending the the machine I'm using (Quad G5 to Powerbook 1.5) as it updates the txt list.

Reactions: Goftrey and z970mp

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Hi there folks - long time without a post!

I've been having an issue with all of my PowerPC Macs (iMac G4 & a number of PowerBooks) running Leopard WebKit for as long as I can remember, and I've only realised that's it a seemingly unique issue to myself after talking to a few people and reading a bunch of threads where users haven't highlighted the issue at all.

In short when I first launch Leopard WebKit the application will hang (beachball) for 30-40 seconds before I can start browsing. After this I am able to browse just fine and as long as I CMD+W instead of quitting the application it doesn't get in the way, however it's an annoying inconvenience and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Originally I figured it might have something to do with the application having some sort of an issue loading in Leopard WebKit's start page, however even after setting the app to launch to a blank page it still hangs on me.

Does anyone else out there have this issue? Any suggestions appreciated
Hi mate! We missed you :)
I have the same problem with the Adblock extension installed. Did you install it?

iMac G4s are beautiful machines, I’d love to see a video about it... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Goftrey

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
That's the culprit! So simple... Cheers lads.
[doublepost=1553812873][/doublepost]
Hi mate! We missed you :)
I have the same problem with the Adblock extension installed. Did you install it?

iMac G4s are beautiful machines, I’d love to see a video about it... :rolleyes:
My circumstances are changing over the summer so my brain's started thinking up ideas again. We'll see ;)