Webmail/Exchange on Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mittens09, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mittens09 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and Office for Mac 2008 (Student Edition). I am trying to setup my university email (web based) on Entourage and it says I cannot have an exchange email (or something along these lines). I was told to download "EWS-1304-EN.dmg", but when I get to "Select a Destination", the following message is displayed: "Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition can't be installed on this disk. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

I have the downloads/Microsoft Office for Mac saved on the HD, and I don't have any other software installed.

Can someone please help me out!

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! Several things:
    1. Entourage Web Services is compatible with Exchange 2007 and no other version.
    2. IIRC, EWS 13.0.4 is available only as an update to an earlier version of EWS.
    3. This is most important: Many believe that Exchange Server is a standard. In fact, Exchange Server is the opposite of a standard. Every Exchange installation is unique. Outlook has the ability to seek-out the proper settings for Exchange. Entourage 2008 is supposed to added this ability. However, I have no evidence that it works in all cases.
    4. I apologize. This is even more important. You must have an Exchange account before you can connect to an Exchange Server.
    5. The most reliable way to connect Entourage to Exchange is to inspect the settings of a working installation of Outlook that is used to access your Exchange account. Use these settings in Entourage.