WebOS is more Googley than Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Carniphage, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Here's the thing.

Google's desktop strategy is all about the browser.
    They create applications, Maps, Mail, Wave - all working inside the browser. That way Google can deploy software instantly and universally.

So the perfect Google mobile device should be one where all the functionality is in the browser as a series of web-applications. You would create an awesome browser - and then everything just runs inside that.

Isn't it odd then that the Palm is *exactly* that? Whereas Android is much more about conventional apps.

Does anyone else think that Web Os is really what Android should have been - and a much better fit to the way that Google sees the future.

C.

iPhone content in this post is low. So I will compensate by being the 57th person to speculate that Phil Shiller will demonstrate the new iPhone by calling Steve Jobs and asking him how he is.

2. DougB541 macrumors 6502a

Well heres the thing, while Andriod was developed by Google....its an open source OS. If Google had decided to go it alone with the OS and their own headset...I could then see them pushing the idea of a Web platform more so.

3. Carniphage thread starter macrumors 68000

Carniphage

But if Google had had the vision to make make Android a pure web platform, it would have been much easier to create. It's easier to make an OS when that OS only has to run one program. (The browser).

C.

4. The General macrumors 601

I guess they realized that it was a retarded ass idea, and that rich native applications are the way to go. :rolleyes:

5. DougB541 macrumors 6502a

Yet the last 2 press conferences Google was at they have ravved about WebOS as a platform.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

But the retarded web way would have been the Google way. It would be consistent. Palm approach should have been Android. Google should have took a more pure web approach that would even work from an iPhone browser.

7. Carniphage thread starter macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Exactly. It should have been the ChromePhone.

C.

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I like the web application approach to the problem, but sometimes it's nice to have apps at your fingertips. ( but it's not like there isn't some exchange of data over the tubes )