Webpages loading differently depending on profile

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 05JGM, Dec 28, 2014.

1. 05JGM macrumors newbie

Please bear with me, my wife and I are new to Macs and just got one for Christmas.

I setup two profiles, one for each of us. If I am logged under my profile a website will not show images, however, if I am logged under my wives the images show. (This is using Safari 7.1.2)

To test if it was something with Safari I downloaded Chrome on my profile and the website looks like it does on my wives using Safari. I had downloaded the ad-block extension in Safari on my profile but removed it thinking that may solve the problem but it didn't.

Can someone please help me out in figuring out what the problem is? I really wanna use Safari as my main browser since I use it on my iPhone and iPad.

2. sharon22, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

sharon22 macrumors regular

Congratulations on your new iMac! I'm going to answer your question for you -- give me just 2 minutes!
    [2 minutes later... to the DOT! LOL]
    Okay, here's what I want you to do.

1.) Start up Safari.
    2.) Go up to the word "Safari" in the upper left hand corner, click-and-hold and you will see the word "Preference."
    3.) Click on Preferences.
    4.) When the Preferences window opens up, click on "Advanced" (it's on the upper right corner of that window).
    5.) Now, check-mark the "Show Develop in Menu Bar" checkbox.
    6.) Now, across the top of your screen, it should say "safari, file edit view History bookmarks DEVELOP.

Do you see where it says "Develop?" If you don't see "Develop," then you have to quit and restart Safari.

7.) Once you see "Develop" in that list going horizontally across the top of your screen, CLICK on it, and then down to "Disable Images."

8.) Begin fiddling with "Disable Images." Click it, see if all your images come back. Click it again, etc.

I think that somehow, "Disable Images" got "activated" and now we simply want to revert it back to "normal," which I believe is done by fiddling with "Disable Images" under that "Develop" heading.

Post back, let me know if that works!

Regardless of whether that works or not, I want you to go into Safari --> Preferences --> Extensions, and get rid of that "Ad Blocker" extension. Get rid of it. See the trouble it has caused you already?

It's like getting a really nice new car, and then you go out and buy one of those ugly "Bra" thingies that "protect" the hood. Okay, so your hood is protected... but now you got an ugly bra to look at instead of your nice car. You just got the most amazing computer on the planet, one or two ads isn't going to ruin anyones day... but by adding "extensions," you're gonna have all kinds of weird things going on. This is advice coming from the Master of Fiddling-With-and-Breaking-Things.

Also, go into "App Store," (located in "Applications") and do click on "Updates," and do a complete software update, too.

Safari is the best browser on the planet.

3. 05JGM thread starter macrumors newbie

Sharon thanks for the response, unfortunately that didn't work. Some images on the page load but others don't. When I clicked the "Disable Images" none of them loaded and when I un-clicked it a few of them returned but not the ones that were originally missing.

Also, I have uninstalled the Ad Blocker and also no updates are showing in the App Store. Safari appears to be updated, I am running 7.1.2 and Mavericks OS.

I hope you have some other ideas!! Thanks for the help so far.

4. 05JGM thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I ended up just cutting my loses and deleting the profile and making another one and then the problem was solved. I figured it was better to go ahead and do that before I had to much to lose. Thanks for the help Sharon!

5. sharon22 macrumors regular

You did the perfect thing! A wise, and simple choice.

I will suggest one more thing -- for less than 50 bucks, go get one of those external drives, go CHEAP as possible (don't buy a used one, though), and then start doing backups.

If you are anything like me, you LOVE to tinker, and add stuff (like extensions, etc.), and if you do regular backups, you can mess things up to your heart's content (like I do)! :D

6. 05JGM thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a hard drive but the mac is not really ever connected to it. Will time machine, already installed on the mac, achieve the same thing?