Webpages render slowly on PowerMac G4 MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tekboi, Jul 11, 2009.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I have a PowerMac G4 Mirror Drive Door. I've had it since 2001 and have upgraded this thing to the max. But, web pages seem to render slowly with this thing. ESPECIALLY FLASH. All video playback on the web is sluggish to the point where it's not even worth watching anymore. Websites with flash object takes eons to load, and after it does load the flash movie, it's still slow.

Up to this point, I have just assumed that it's because this machine is going on 9 years old. But, I just talked to someone who said he had the some computer and didn't have this problem.

Dual 1 Ghz
    1 MB L3 cache per processor
    1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

2. sauria macrumors regular

Is this a fresh install of OSX? Are your drives full?

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well it is NOT the computer itself.......since my Quicksilver does just fine on everything I throw at it, internet, flash, photoshop CS 2, office, videos etc. Granted it is not as fast as the newest intelmacs, but still not bad for a machine that is even older than yours......

specs:

1.6ghz OWC SP upgrade
    1.5GB ram
    160GB Raptor boot drive
    2x 76GB raptor back up drives
    SIIG 4 port SATA card
    Radeon 9800 pro 128mb (flashed peecee card originally)
    4 port USB 2 pci controller
    2 extra internal fans
    Pioneer 112 DVD burner

4. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Yes. I've only had to restore os x ONCE since I got the machine. Which is a good thing and why i'm sticking with mac. But, a fresh install didn't help the performance on the web. Not even a little. My drives are not full, not even half way right now.

I just don't know.

5. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

1.6ghz is a world of difference from just 1ghz. I am unable to run iMovie and Logic Studio on this machine, that is really staring to have an affect on my productivity. Also, when using Propellerheads Reason, the program will lag when using a couple of synth sounds.

Kinda seems like I'm going to need an upgrade. I REALLY would rather a Mac Pro, but if I have to I guess I can live with an iMac.

6. sauria macrumors regular

Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/alnandr#play/all/favorites-all/0/FEnmXq5ysn4

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The web and flash play okay on my 600mhz G4. Upgrading the hard drive to a more modern 120gb drive and installing 2gb of ram made a world of difference.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i sure hope your kidding.. because i sort of remember reading that flash videos cant really play on his computer.. ironic :p

OP: flash is TERRIBLE on macs, even on newer systems it will chew through the CPu cycles and stutter everywhere, on your computer it would conk out.. it seems to be getting worse everytime they upgrade it. im afraid there is nothing you can do, this isnt something wrong with your computer.

9. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I just went to apple and tested out my heavily flash-based website on a macbook and everything on the page ran smooth. Good thing I have a PC available or I wouldn't have been able create my website in the first place.

:apple: what a shame...

EDIT:

Just checked out the video and did the research and it seems that macs this old have a problem with flash, so I know it's not just me.

10. goMac macrumors 603

Not entirely a surprise given that Macbook is quite a few times faster than your G4...