Webseeding/use most of upload speed?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by keysofanxiety, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hello MR forums,

Hope you're all keeping in good spirits. Apologies in advance if this thread is in the wrong place, wasn't really sure where to put it.

I recently had gigabit Internet fitted (1000/1000) and I'm looking to use the most of my upload speed. I was planning to use my computer as a 24/7 seedbox/games server, but a lot of the torrents don't hook up at full upload speed, despite port forwarding and checking all the settings. ISP have confirmed they don't throttle or block incoming/outgoing connections, so it's just likely a limitation of the tracker or torrent client.

As such, I was looking to give back to the community in some way or another. Network usage is rarely hitting 1%. Is there any good I can do? Any FTP sites I can sign up for, or sign up for community webseeding or anything like that? Basically it's just a waste of money if I'm not using the upload speed to its full potential.

Anything people can suggest would be perfect - I know folding mainly uses GPU/CPU, so is there anything similar (do good for the community) that is network heavy instead?

Best wishes. :)

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

There was once storage@home but I think it never really took off the ground after pilot.

If you want to keep your upstream busy just increase the number of folding rigs :p
    Else I have no idea, but also would be carefully that others not abuse your system for illegal stuff.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    On a second thought: maybe you become a speednet host.

http://www.ookla.com/host

3. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ah yeah, folding would destroy my machine though - poor girl's an old Core2Quad/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/gigabit Ethernet, and though she's a real workhorse, she just doesn't have the grunt to fold away.

Runs game servers like a beauty though, just wanted to make more of my bandwidth as seeding Linux distros barely hooks up to any peers. :-(
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Amazing idea! I'll do that now. Thank you :)