Webserver Firewire vs Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 64847, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 64847 Guest

Hello, we are looking to get a couple of Xserves. One would be a webserver with an IP and another would be a database server. We are looking to either connect the two servers together via gigabit router and gigabit ethernet, or via Firewire 800.

Basically the web Xserve needs to post and read to the database on the second Xserve. We have been told that it might be better to go via Firewire for speed and efficiency even though it is only ~800mbps compared to 1 gigabit.

Does anybody have any suggestions on networking two Xserves, if you don't want one of them available on the internet with their own IP?

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I am not sure if Firewire is actually easier (outside of hardware requirements). I would recommend using the nic. You are going to have to give your systems ip's anyways so you may as well di it so they are accessible by other systems on the network.

3. 64847 thread starter Guest

Okay thanks, although the other servers really don't need to be accessible on the network. They will be in a colo center.

I just heard there could be issues with router "congestion" and wanted to see if networking over Firewire would be more efficient.

- Also I know on OS X Client, you can turn on Internet Sharing and just use a straight ethernet cable and assign an IP to the computer you connect to. Does OS X Server have this and would this be an option over Firewire or using a router?

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Not sure about the internet sharing part, but I can speak to the database separate from the web server. Chances are, you won't be able to do enough transactions (without a load generator) to experience router congestion.