website access issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by munshi, May 22, 2009.

1. munshi macrumors newbie

hello,
    i have an issue with my internet access via my apple computer(both a macbook and iMac) running mac os 10.5.7 last tuesday i was trying to log into my ebay account and every time i tried to do so,the connection times out,even though i had no problem doing that earlier during the day. and i have no issue viewing the home page.(the same issue arises on other websites like ups.com )
    -i thought this might be a browser problem,so i tried both safari and firefox with no success
    -thought maybe a DNS problem,changed my DNS,still no success.
    -reset safari and deleted all cookies on both browsers,did not work.
    -tried accessing those websites from my 7 year old fujitsu laptop, and everything worked fine,but no success on the apple computer.

any ideas why this occurred and how can i solve it?

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

Are you running any security software? It may sound stupid but have you tried restarting the mac?

3. munshi thread starter macrumors newbie

re

well i do have iantivirus on my imac but not on my macbook. and i tried restarting again,where something really strange happened.
    on my dashboard i have a package tracking application where it is supposed to track my ups package.it did connect when i restarted my imac,but afterwards i could neither connect to their website or through that widget. so it must be some conflicting software.

tried restarting the router but nothing changed

edit: i just found out that microsoft messenger will not connect too giving an error message " sign in to microsoft messenger failed because the service is not responding

4. munshi thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just tried moving into my neighbor and hooking into his wireless connection and now it seems to work.maybe its an apple-open DNS issue.coz on my windows laptop i did not have the same issue using my open DNS and same router settings.

does anyone have some decent DNS settings i could use other than open DNS

5. macgrl macrumors 65816

Sorry I can't help you with that one. There will be someone that can though. Best of luck:)

6. jmbill macrumors member

7. munshi thread starter macrumors newbie

it worked with me too

that worked like a charm,its a bit slower than what i am used to,but better a few seconds late than having half the internet blown away...thanks