website advice - content

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by canucksfan88, Feb 9, 2010.

1. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

hey everyone,

So basically i was put in charge of designing and coding a website but after I host it and what not, other people (who do not know how to code) want to be able to input content and update.

I heard it was possible to use a blog to update the information but i wasn't sure.

any advice?

thanks!

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

That's one of the main benefits of a CMS (content management system) like WordPress.

If you use Dreamweaver CS4 to build the site, you can also set it up to have user-edited areas--called in-context editing--which is currently free to do, but Adobe will most likely make that subscription based this year or next.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Self-hosting a WordPress blog sounds like your best bet.

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Yup, WordPress is the product for you. Great software. And free! You can even get free templates to get you started, build your own, or pay a small amount to get one of the rather nice premium themes around...

/Doug

5. ZenAmateur macrumors newbie

Try Joomla instead

Wordpress is OK for a blog format, but as far as a traditional type of web site, Joomla! has more features and is more extensible with thousands of components and modules for added functionality and looks.

And of course, it is Open Source.

6. digitalField macrumors regular

Yea these guys are right and Wordpress a blog is a bit of an understatement. Really it should be called 'super flexible awesome blog', as you can get it to do pretty much whatever you what as long as you are a creative thinker.

Two sites, both done with Wordpress as the glue holding them together are..
    http://brobo.tv/ ( a friend of mine ) and
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Also if your not clear with what a CMS is.. its a system that allows for someone to edit the content on a website without having to actually do any coding. Which means, it can make your life alot easier as it means clients can quickly add content on their own.

And Wordpress as a CMS is pretty popular due to all the plugins available AND that its all written in php which makes it easy to manipulate.

if you google 'Wordpress as CMS' you should find some good artilces about it.

M!

7. canucksfan88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

thanks for your replies everyone! =)

i will look into the wordpress model and what you guys have suggested!

thanks very much

8. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I agree with the other posters that you need a CMS... however, which CMS you choose will depend on the size of your site.

Wordpress is easy to work with, but is not great for larger sites. It becomes too limiting, as it is designed for blogs.

Drupal or Joomla take a bit longer to learn / configure, but they are bit more flexible and scalable. Both of these systems are free and open source.

If you need a really custom CMS, look into ExpressionEngine. This is not free, but a really powerful framework.

9. quixotic macrumors regular

I've used SnippetMaster with great success. It's not free, but it's very lightweight and very easy to integrate. If you don't want to deal with or need big heavy weights like Drupal/Joomla etc. it's a nice little CMS. You build the site the way you want, and add SnippetMaster when you're done.

10. eleven2brett macrumors regular