website alteration

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ebobster, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ebobster macrumors newbie

i'm a hardware guy getting into programming and i have a question that i think is very simple for those with a modicum of coding experience.

I would like to selectively alter the content on certain sites using safari 6 in ML. For example: how would i go about learning to make a site load with white text and a black background? I have trouble reading on white screens so it would really help me out. I write notes on black paper with white ink because otherwise i have no idea what i'm looking at.

I'm guessing that I would need to develop an exstension if i were making something 'site specific' otherwise i could create at stylesheet that i could use in safari but i have a feeling that might be too vague for me and it would make my browsing experience unpleasant.

Any pointers are much appreciated. No raw code is necessary, just the steps i need to take.

Cheers

2. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps not the answer to your question but have you looked at Universal Access --> Display: White on Black.

Attached Files:

3. woodlandtrek, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

woodlandtrek macrumors member

Create a new stylesheet that formats the text how you want it. Something like:
    Code:
    * {
    color: #FFF !important;
    background-color: #000 !important;
    }

Save it as a .css file, then go into Safari->Preferences->Advanced->Style Sheet->Other and select your stylesheet. Those styles will then be loaded on every page you visit.

Caution: the stylesheet above will probably make everything look awful. You would need to be more specific in the styles or only turn it on for text heavy pages, or just use the universal access method that kryten2 mentioned.

Edit: Woops! I guess you already knew about this option. Should have read the original post more thoroughly.