Website Apps

Grumpyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I have ordered my first Mac!

I am now looking for some web apps (presumably in the Mac App store?) that will let me create and manage a fairly simple website. Any suggestions?

I already have a domain and a simple site made using godaddy's website builder (yes i know.....I won't use that product again in a hurry) and will change to just hosting with a view to managing the site from the Mac.

I am old so I know how to hand code HTML and am semi-familiar with the technical side. What I know little about is the latest tools and technologies that are used on the web today.

So i'm after something complete but not a full pro app.

cheers :)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd look at Sandvox or Rapidweaver

The latter is a bit more complex and has a higher learning curve but gives you more flexibility with the use of plug-ins. Please note that its at release 5 and they're getting version 6 ready.

I think for a simple website Sandvox is the better choice.

Grumpyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for reply and apologies for posting here, I didn't spot the Visual Media section of the forum.
Sandvox looks perfect :)

Grumpyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I'd look at Sandvox or Rapidweaver

The latter is a bit more complex and has a higher learning curve but gives you more flexibility with the use of plug-ins. Please note that its at release 5 and they're getting version 6 ready.

I think for a simple website Sandvox is the better choice.
noddy question but mentioned version numbers... if I buy version 5 will i automatically receive v6 for no extra charge?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Have you given some thought to using a text editor for creating websites? I have been creating websites using nothing more than a text editor for many years and there are some advantages:

• More control over the content
  • You learn morein a D.I.T. environment
  • You're able to troubleshoot problems yourself due to number two

Granted, there is more to learn when doing it yourself versus using a website builder, but the benefits are more rewarding.

Grumpyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Have you given some thought to using a text editor for creating websites? I have been creating websites using nothing more than a text editor for many years and there are some advantages:

• More control over the content
  • You learn morein a D.I.T. environment
  • You're able to troubleshoot problems yourself due to number two

Granted, there is more to learn when doing it yourself versus using a website builder, but the benefits are more rewarding.
thanks but been there and that. just want a simple solution for building a simple site.
Actually interested in Rapid weaver but i wont shell out for v5 if v6 will cost another chunk on top.