Website builder advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karleaglemac, May 8, 2007.

1. karleaglemac macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2007
    First off, I know. I know. There is a forum specifically for web development.

However, to tell you the truth. I'm looking for the advice from an audience who isn't too entirely web developer savvy; an average Mac user, if you will.

I'm looking for a good, free website builder program. I recently purchased a domain from Yahoo and they offer Site Builder along with their services. Unfortunately, this program isn't compatible with Macs, and they unapologetically say so.

iWeb is OK, but I can't justify even $100 to publish my site through .Mac.

RapidWeaver is fine, but completely too template oriented. I need a bit more freedom.

Does anyone know of a good, free website building program that I can use?

I'd like to apologize ahead of time, as I know a "post out of context" can cause an uproar in the forum community.

Honestly, any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    iWeb is free, just publish to a folder instead of .Mac, and upload from there.
  3. Mantronix macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2007
    There are many free or trial version softwares out there. I use Macromedia dreamweaver but it's not free. HTMLgoodies is a pretty good reference site to learn how to build a website.
  4. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2007
    Thanks guys, you are lifesavers.

One dumb question though. I tried publishing my iWeb site to a folder, entered my domain, and still nothing comes up when I try visiting it on Firefox. I feel like an idiot.:confused:

What am I doing wrong?
  5. odinsride macrumors 65816

Apr 11, 2007
    Did you remember to upload it? You'll need an FTP program to transfer the files from your hard drive to your hosting service.

Since I'm fairly new to mac, I don't really know of any OSX FTP clients out there...anyone else want to help on that one?
  6. Halsey12 macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2006
    Transmit is the way to go for FTP. You can use the free demo, but it is definately worth buying too. 30 bucks, I think?
  7. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2007