Website Creation (Start to Finish) Please Help!

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
Hi,
I have said I would do a site for my mates band and although I have done this before I have never had to do hosting and gettin domain names etc. Does anyone have any advise as to how to get a .co.uk domain name and space to host it for as little as possible. Can I use my .mac space or will it just appear in the address bar at the top of the browser as my .mac space and not a website as this would look a bit unprofessional.
Also, is there a cheap and easy way to build a good looking website?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Ryan

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
yogi477 said:
Hi,
I have said I would do a site for my mates band and although I have done this before I have never had to do hosting and gettin domain names etc. Does anyone have any advise as to how to get a .co.uk domain name and space to host it for as little as possible. Can I use my .mac space or will it just appear in the address bar at the top of the browser as my .mac space and not a website as this would look a bit unprofessional.
Also, is there a cheap and easy way to build a good looking website?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Ryan
If you use your .mac, you can use a service to do redirection. Like the Russo's website in my sig is hosted on .mac, but has their name show up as the URL. I use www.No-IP.com, but I'm sure there is cheaper places, but they give some services that others sometimes don't preform. You can even setup a free account and use a no-ip.com name to redirect for free. Then when you want to shell out the money to someone, you can then get your .co.uk domain name and use who ever you want to host it or redirect it to your .mac account.

Cheap and easy way would be to use something like the 30 day trial period for Dreamweaver. Make a page layout, then just using Text edit after that. Or just use word or Pages and just export to html, but that can product some crappy sites, I said it but I don't suggest you do it.

morningrise

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2005
depending on your skill level in photoshop/dreamweaver or similar apps, you can easily create a site using photoshop/imageready to basically code the whole site automatically.... dreamweaver can be used to simply add content and link the pages together.

As far as the .co.uk address, I've never looked, as I live in the US... but I'm sure there are cheap solutions to this. Try abnormis.net for hosting... they have been excellent with me for the past 3 years.

Hope that helps at all... PM me if you have any questions regarding the coding or design of the site.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
If you look around, there maybe people who are trying to build a portfolio and might help you create your site for a small pantry sum in exchange for little interruption to their creative juice (but you have to be able to distinguish the better ones) or there might be design students looking to gain more experience, however, with students it's a double edge sword.

As for hosting, you can try ASO since many members in this forum can tell you that they are good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.