website critique and questions

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by samwich, Aug 31, 2010.

1. samwich macrumors regular

Although there are way too many of these threads, deep down I think people enjoy to see what others are working on.

http://www.samwirch.com

I recently updated my site to HTML5 and used a lot of CSS 3 properties as well. According to my site analytics I am getting less than 10% traffic from IE and less than 1% from IE 6, so I don't feel too bad about not optimizing my site for IE.

I was wondering if anybody has any tutorials or recommendations on how to change up my gallery pages to use AJAX (with jQuery) instead of page refreshes (similar to a facebook style image gallery)?

Comments and criticisms welcome.
    Sam

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

man it's been a long time since i've looked at a 3d portfolio.. thanks for refreshing me :)

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You've got some seriously nice 3d there, I like. As for the portfolio itself I think it works because you're letting the content speak for itself.

BTW I am in 3d myself, I'm spotting NASA Blue Marble on the world globe if I am not mistaken.

Nice work.

4. samwich thread starter macrumors regular

5. manueld macrumors 6502

why not just use a lightbox type modal window for your gallery?

6. samwich thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know, I had the lightbox style gallery for a while and I think it's getting overused and I want a change, that's all.

7. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

8. samwich thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no! I have a feeling that has to do with using TypeKit for embedding non-web safe fonts using @font-face. There was a checkbox in the admin panel to enable for iPad and iPhone users, but it said the feature was "experimental". I enabled it and checked it on my iPhone and it worked, so I never got around to testing it on an iPad.

9. manueld macrumors 6502

I don't like the fact that I lose the thumbnail view once I clicked on an image, and that I have to hit "back" to see the thumbnails again. If your dead set in not using a modal window, I'd add the thumbnails somewhere