Website Critique needed

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gold2040, Dec 25, 2010.

1. gold2040 macrumors newbie

hello people

i'm a graduated student, who's looking to get into a career related to web design/developing, since that's what i enjoy doing

I have a personal website here and a website i'm developing for a gardener we hire which is here (content is slightly bare at the minute)

if you could give me some feedback, your general opinion, it would be quite insightful since i'm still learning of course :)

i'm currently working on a portfolio, which should benefit me in the long run

Tom

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You're needlessly using inline styles for many elements (on the gardener link).

3. gold2040, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

gold2040 thread starter macrumors newbie

your referring to the links correct?, i'll take a rehash at that

EDIT: tidied that up a bit

4. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

Nice site. Just some recommendations;
    * On the Navbar, maybe changing the colour (or something similar), when you hover other the link.
    * Not sure if you are gonna do this or not.. But on the contact page, and a form to make it eaisier..
    * The photos in the gallery are not a very good res.. I'm guessing that its like that because you have used the same image dir as the slideshow..

5. gold2040 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Jack, i'll look into getting a form put in there

as for the slideshow, i'm waiting to get some images of our gardeners work, so i'm just reusing the same images as you mentioned currently (there just pictures from Google Images, they'll be replaced once the site goes live)

6. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

However, rememeber to still leave the email their, just because some people will prefer to copy and paste the email and do it that way.

Ah, cool:)

Also (not sure if this is needed or not). Add some kinda foooter...?

Other than that pretty neat site you got there:)

7. jo0 macrumors regular

i'll be the first to say it, you should explore other career fields...

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

:rolleyes: Because real web designers all started off making pixel perfect websites from the first day they opened up a text editor.

OP:

Really impressed your sites validated as XHTML strict, although I get the impression you've used a template site here?

I'd suggest playing with the pictures - as it stands they just don't fit with the rest of the design. Few suggestions:
    - Make them bigger. Even on a small screen very little space is being used. I can't stress this enough: aside from the fact it will look better, if you think about his line of work you'll probably agree that pictures are his best advertisement. You want the customer to be able to see every detail.
    - Put some kind of border around them, or a fade, or something. The reason I say this is that the whole site has smooth or rounded edges, fades and transparency, but the images are just plopped on top. It really jars.
    - Some of the letters in his name overlaps. Makes it difficult to read.

AppleMatt

9. samwich macrumors regular

The various colors of green on the gardener website aren't working for me. I think one or more of them is too saturated and they are all fighting for attention. Maybe try using Kuler or another color palette resource to nail down your colors.

10. jo0 macrumors regular

i guess i should clarify. come on, the guy is no longer a student which means he has some age to him. Middle school script kiddies have better looking sites than this guy.

as far as opening a text editor, clearly he is using templates. my grandmother can use templates. what recent graduate even starts off with templates?? any wannabe developer in his/her right mind wouldn't go near WYSIWYG editors before learning code if they wanted to take this sort of thing seriously, and chances are he will need to google "WYSIWYG."

if he is seriously wanting to make a portfolio based on template work he has a very rude awakening ahead of him and i don't think it is OK to give people that come here props and encouragement for junk and possibly lead them on to an unfortunate reality in the future.

op, im not sure if this is the kind of critique you were looking for, but at least its an honest opinion.

11. gold2040, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

yes, I used a basic CSS column layout such as this.. I guess, i'm still a bit touchy when it comes to CSS columns and that.. this probably sounds completely ignorant but I didn't think that was a completely bad thing.. obviously, I got to look outside the box so to speak (if that's the right phrasing, a 2 column layout should be easy enough to code regardless by hand I imagine without using one)

to clarify, I am wishing to make a career out of this, and am serious in going about this, and am willing to put the work in to make it achieve my goals, which probably includes a little bit more study with CSS

I'm still faily inexperienced I guess, and I apologise if I came across as presenting "junk", which was not my honest intention if that's hard to believe

I don't wish to deceive anyone, and apologise if I have misintentionally done so in any fashion

12. NumeroTen macrumors member

NumeroTen

Templates?

What program do you use to create these websites? They look good and all, but the templates just make it look a little boring, and judging form the content of the website they were just made, but that will grow over time. Overall it looks good for a website for a gardener or for you, but use a little bit of your imagination. Much better looks that my website though. http://numeroten.com/_.html

13. gold2040, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

I use the code editor in Dreamweaver, partly due to CSS attribute prompts I guess when editing styles, I understand what you mean about looking boring. since basic 2/3 column templates have a general feel/look to them I guess

I'd like to make something of my life, i've had a few calls so far from companies, but no cigar yet, i'm reading from a book about PHP about developing a simple CMS, which will take a while bur it's learning (l learn't the basics in my spare time back in my final year, but figured it was best to start from the bottom up again)

you site looks OK to me i guess, i mean at the end of the day it serves it's purpose so what works shouldn't be fixed right :)

I hope i'm not confusing anyone, in that I didn't use a fully fledged template site other than a basic CSS column layout (as I mentioned)