Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SiFly, Sep 1, 2010.

1. SiFly macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

I've been a visitor of this site for quite a few years now but this is my first post. I've recently been designing some websites and my most recent one is for my cousin's insurance business. I'd be grateful if anybody would take a look at it and offer some feedback on what's wrong with it (or if I'm lucky, what's right with it!)

Here's the link http://www.bcshendricks.co.uk

Thanks in advance

2. manueld macrumors 6502

I like the concept and colors but needs a bit more polish. The mixture of hard sharp edges and rounded corners aren't working well for me.

The header feels unfinished as well as the photo only extends to a certain point and then abruptly changes to a solid color (which doesn't match the photo either)

The logo and navigation is a bit hard to read. Even out the spacing on the navigation.

Not quite sure what the purpose of the top blue part of the header photos is supposed to be.

I like the blurred glass opaque look on the graphics but just make sure that it doesn't detract from the legibility of text your embedding.

I would suggest not changing the color of the company in the body text as I thought it was a clickable link.

The content pages on the Commercial and High Value page seems incomplete. The other pages has secondary content on the right side.

Consider putting some sort of contact information (phone number?) on all the pages prominently somewhere.

I would suggest making the width of the footer 100% rather than a fixed width.

The text inside the footer doesn't quite fit on one line, Terms, is dangling into a second line.

Very good start but with a bit polishing it could look great. I would also suggest placing a call to action on the site. Something that elicits your user to click further into the site rather than just the vanilla navigation.

3. SiFly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for taking the time to look over the site. I'm aware of some of the issues you picked out; the white space/lack of contact in the sidebars will be rectified shortly once I've got more information from my cousin and he's had agreement from some clients to use their names in testimonials.

I'd had a similar thought about the blue bar across the top of the image banner; I'd intended using it for the page titles/header originally but am still uncertain. Am very grateful to you, though, for pointing out the faux-pas with the colour of the company name in the body text. All of their printed documents use that 'scheme' but it completely escaped my mind that visitors might interpret it as a link.

I'll take a look at the header photo and the background colour. On all of the screens I've viewed the site on so far, I hadn't seen how the banner photo ends and the colour begins (laziness on my part for which I apologise).

Thanks for your advise. It's genuinely appreciated.

4. Dana Beck macrumors member

Dana Beck

Nice without being slick

I think the site looks professional and needs just a few touch ups. I like that blue bar and the curves...keeps things from being too rectangular, and the blue bar extension gives a pop, almost a reverse out. I would not change either of those. The color palette is inviting and good for the subject matter.

I do agree with earlier poster about making your blue footer a 100 percent wide div. White space left and right looks uncompleted. Everything is legible on this iPad (and I have found a few rending bugs on the iPad user agent string). Congrats.